Interconnect Confusion - please help me!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by bazzason, Aug 31, 2004.

1. bazzason

bazzason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi chaps/chapettes,

i have very recently purchased a Marantz 5400 OSE A/V receiver. i am having a little trouble understanding what interconnects i need to use, and how to configure this with my other equipment.

i have attached a diagram from the user manual showing the connections i need to make for the DVD/VCR combo unit i have and also the TV connections needed.

i have also attached the view of the rear of my DVD/VCR unit. my TV has two scart points. this is where i get confused. how am i supposed to connect all this up?!

i am thinking that i can use a SCART->6 phono from the DVD/VCR player to the A/V giving audio in/out and video in/out, a digital coax lead for the digital signal and the audio out for the DVD player.

from the TV to the A/V use a SCART->6 phono but don't connect the audio in leads.

am i barking up the right tree here, or am i making life more complicated than it needs to be???

:confused:

Attached Files:

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,084
    Connect the dvd/vcr direct to your tv via scart , and digital coax for the sound to the amp , no need for the video signal to go through the amp :smashin:

3. bazzason

bazzason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have already got the scart/scart connection from TV to DVD/VCR - its the connections from the TV-amp and DVD-amp that i need to sort out.

is that it?! 1 lead??? what about from the TV to the amp? just simple RCA leads to take the audio signal?

why do they have a myriad of connections if it is that easy?

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,478
    OK, this is what I think you need to connect:

VCR/DVD to TV with scart to scart lead
    VCR/DVD to amp with digital coax for DVD surround sound and a phono pair for VCR sound
    TV to amp with a phono pair to get sound from the TV to amp if you listen to the TV in DPL etc

As far as I can see that is all you need to connect the 3 pieces of equipment together.

Mark.

5. bazzason

bazzason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies.

why do the manuals show RGB, video etc connections to the amp if they are not required? sorry, i am a bit of a newbie to all this...!

6. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    People like to have varying set-ups so manulas try to cover all the obvious options. As MarkE19 suggests connect -

DVD and VCR to the TV via a fully wired scart (this is RGB)

Connect DVD to amp via digital coax

Connect VCR to amp via stereo phono leads.

The sound from the DVD and VCR players comes from the amp, not the tv, that is why you do not need to connect the tv to the amp.

However, as MarkE19 states, you would need to connect the tv to the amp if you wanted to take advantage of DPL which converts tv audio signals into surround sound. To do this again use the same cable as used for connecting the VCR to the amp - a stereo phono lead.

Cheers,

Mark.

7. bazzason

bazzason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks mark,

the phono output from the tv is right at the front of the unit, so ideally i don't want to use this for asthetic reasons (to keep the other half happy i have to conceal pretty much every bit of cable possible)! so, bearing this in mind, can i use a scart->2 phono lead between the TV and the amp? i presume this does the same job, but will keep everything to the rear of the TV and will prevent me from getting my ear bent!

car audio is so much easier... ;)

8. Swifttech

Swifttech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes that should be ok

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,478
    The chances are that the 2 phono connections on the front of the TV are inputs only for connecting a video camera or games consol etc. If this is the case then it would not work connecting these to the amp.
    Is your TV Nicam? Most Nicam TV's will have phono outputs on the back for connecting to an amp. If it is not Nicam then you will only get mono sound even via the amp. If it is Nicam, but with no phono outputs then yes the scart to phono lead should work as most TV's will have at least one scart socket that will work as an output as well as an input. Just make sure the lead is stereo sound and not composite and mono audio - the chances are you will get a lead with scart to 3 phono plugs - Yellow = composite video, Red & White = stereo sound. Scart leads are directional as well, so make sure it is signal into scart or the direction is switchable. If you get the signal direction wrong then you will get nothing to the amp.

Mark.

10. bazzason

bazzason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi mark,

if the lead is taking the signal from the TV to the amp, shouldn't the direction be from scart->phono, rather than phono->scart?

11. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,478
    Sorry, just the way I phrased it.

The TV Audio should travel into the scart plug and out the phono plugs, so yes it is scart>phono.

Mark.

12. bazzason

bazzason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, have purchased all the cables i need from TV Cables - totally impressed with them, BTW. placed order yesterday afternoon and it arrived bright and early this morning. great value, great service. :thumbsup:

anyhow, i got to think about setting up the receiver and realised it has an onscreen menu to set up the unit. can i simply run a lead from the video out on the amp to the video in on the front of the TV? its only gonna be used to set the speaker settings etc then be unplugged.

13. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,478
    Totally agree about TV Cables, I've used them a couple of times and always had great service!

The front input on your TV will be ideal for a temporary connection for the receivers setup. It was the way I did it to set up my 3802 when I got it - or started tweeking it again!

Mark.