Interceptor (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thank you for taking one for the team Cas!
I’ll be avoiding this like the plague.

This single location crap is just like found footage, it’s a way of trying to hide zero budget.

I’ve got a better idea - if you can’t afford it, don’t make it! Put the funds into something better.

just your bog standard netflix fare - OK with a few mates and a few beers but dial expectations to predictable. 5 is fair enough and fair play to CH for doing his best by his partner as i doubt he got involved in this for any other reason.

Thats two reviews up front on the home page, both of terrible films.

Why not present the audience / and review a selection of the better films out there?

I would give it a 6. Weak plot and script but kept me interested.

Sounds like the epitome of the ultimate Netflix movie. if it was 80s/90s, this would probably be prime DTV fodder.

5's about right, needed triple the budget, better dialogue and far better actors.

Just about finished this. Not even sure I could go to a 5 tbh.

Quality over Quantity Netflix.:nono:

Watched it last night, I would probably go for 4 at best.

Slightly annoying as the story was actually quite good I think.

The hardened control room with two big blast doors to protect it that had not one but two thin metal trapdoors to get in nice and easily since they had an inside man???

Cheers Cas.

Looks like another one to fill the quota of terrible films they have to churn out before the Netflix Gods allow another good one to come along.

I have read a few of Matthew Reilly’s books. They seem to be written for people that don’t normally read books, and massively derivative of other, better books and movies. The last one I read was Jurassic Park, but with Chinese dragons. Not good. He was probably hoping the Alibaba guy would lob him a few mill for a movie. Luckily for him, Netflix are so desperate they will greenlight literally anything. To be fair I enjoyed a couple of his books, they pass a few hours, but you will feel like you dropped a few IQ points by the end. Seems he has successfully translated this formula to the screen!

Thank you for taking one for the team Cas!
I’ll be avoiding this like the plague.

This single location crap is just like found footage, it’s a way of trying to hide zero budget.

I’ve got a better idea - if you can’t afford it, don’t make it! Put the funds into something better.
I think that's a tiny bit harsh. There are loads of great single location films... I'm guessing that this isn't one of them.

The movie started off okay with an interesting helicopter formation scene but started to look like a budget production as soon as the main cast entered the missile control room set, plainly the need to keep costs down was taken to heart by first time director and story author Matthew Reilly, the plot then went steadily downhill from there, which was perplexing considering Stuart Beattie also collaborated on the screenplay and Stuart does have a selection of reasonable B Grade efforts to his name including Cruise's Collateral, he should have known better, but Elsa Pataky was the star of this show, the camera was focused mainly on her as no doubt husband Chris Hemsworth kept reminding everyone in the cast.
And what about Chris, I wonder who suggested he had a cameo role as a store TV salesperson, a classic jump the Shark sequence for this film, I cant imagine Elsa would be too happy with his jokey ham acting when watching the final cut of this movie, a movie which I believe was intended to be first released on the big screen.
I watched this confusion of a film till the end but I cant imagine Mr. Reilly will be directing or featuring a screenplay from another of his books on Netflix until he better interprets what actually works best when his pulp fiction is transferred onto the big screen, and what doesn't, but I guess Netflix's budget clause didn't help him either, the Presidential operations centre was almost a sketch comedy of oddball characters, the world certainly isn't a safer place with them in charge in Washington.
My score is 5 out of 10 for the better CGI moments, but it may have been higher if the plot holes in the screenplay were better handled by a more experienced big screen director.

Agree with the 5 out of 10.

It was ok, had some enjoyable moments and Elsa Pataky really looked the part.
The dialogue was absolutely terrible though, hilariously bad in places.

Near the start, one of the guys in the control room is talking and she says
'that's a great story, in which chapter do you shut the **** up'

There was one terrible scene with some guy with an awful (British) accent in the Presidential Operations centre talking about not liking her plan of letting the guys into the control room and then getting rid of them. No idea where they thought that character would be a good idea.

I wasn't aware Chris Hemsworth was married to Elsa Pataky until reading this thread. Lucky dude!

In concept a good idea but ruined by a poor script below par acting and it was clear it was really a promotional video for the Me Too movement. Queue baddy telling our hero what was going on only to be told by her to "stop mansplaining me" and the 5ft 5in actress beating the holy cr@p out of a 6ft 7in brute of a man.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a strong female lead provided she is a good actor, fits the narrative and is believable. None of which applied here

I'd have to watch it for the full duration to give it a score. It never made past the 15 minute mark. Complete rubbish. Gave up when the man throwing started.

I dived in three times in the hope it got better. It didn’t IMO.

I have read a few of Matthew Reilly’s books. They seem to be written for people that don’t normally read books, and massively derivative of other, better books and movies. The last one I read was Jurassic Park, but with Chinese dragons. Not good. He was probably hoping the Alibaba guy would lob him a few mill for a movie. Luckily for him, Netflix are so desperate they will greenlight literally anything. To be fair I enjoyed a couple of his books, they pass a few hours, but you will feel like you dropped a few IQ points by the end. Seems he has successfully translated this formula to the screen!
Harsh! But, probably fair. :)

I've read all of them because they really are the literature equivalent of brain off action movies. I work with words every day so, turning my brain off when reading them is fine with me.

I only became aware of him directing this yesterday, as I was finishing the final Jack West movie. And, the good news is, Netflix (could be someone else) appear to have greenlit Ice Station. Which is just a bonkers mad ridiculous thing. It will be an awful movie. It's an awful (entertaining) book. But I will definitely be watching it.

Harsh! But, probably fair. :)

I've read all of them because they really are the literature equivalent of brain off action movies. I work with words every day so, turning my brain off when reading them is fine with me.

I only became aware of him directing this yesterday, as I was finishing the final Jack West movie. And, the good news is, Netflix (could be someone else) appear to have greenlit Ice Station. Which is just a bonkers mad ridiculous thing. It will be an awful movie. It's an awful (entertaining) book. But I will definitely be watching it.
I did enjoy a few of his early books, Ice Station is probably the best to be fair. I think the Fast/Furious movies have stolen a lot of his ideas, and it's that level of ridiculous, but even Netflix aren't going to give him that kind of money.

I tried to watch Interceptor, but just couldn't do it, bailed after about 30 mins.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom