• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Inter-room sound system

Mosko

Standard Member
Hi

I have a desktop in the hall. I listen to music in the living room using a laptop to play the music on the desktop over a homeplug network, into some speakers connected to an external amp, and that's fine. I wanted something for the bedroom too, but that was "neater" than having another laptop, or moving the laptop around. Iwant to be able to play and control the music from in the bedroom.

Is sonos the best system for this? If not, what are good alternatives? If sonos is the way to go, what kit do i need to buy? I am happy to use the Homeplug instead of wifi. I am happy to use my android galaxy as the remote. If I only buy the Play:5 (or Play:3) is that all I need, or do i need a wifi box to get the phone to work as the remote?

Is it worth paying the extra money to get the play:5 over the play:3? Am i right in thinking neither of these have an audio out connector, so you can never use with external amp? (I'm guessing that's the trick they use to charge extra for the connect (amp)).

thanks for any advice

david

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Depends how critical the bedroom listening is & how many boxes you can tolerate. Logitech's Squeezebox Radio with give you a kind of streaming clock/radio but is only mono. Their Touch is just a source which you can feed into any amp or powered speakers you like.

The there's streaming all-in-ones like the Marantz MCR603 or Denon CEOL.

This would probably be better in the Audio Streaming forum where you'll find a lot of info.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom