• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

intenet connection problem

TellyTel

Distinguished Member
hi

ive got a strange problem with my internet , ive got a wired virgin broadband connection into our home computer and have also got a linksys wireless broadband router which ive connected up to allow wireless in the house.

its started playing up where i will sometimes not get any wired internet connection on the main pc , but the wireless internet is still ok?

sometimes it does it while surfing on the wired connection ,but today its not even working at all when turning on the pc , at present im using my wireless laptop to write this:confused:

can anyone help?

thanks

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
Do you mean that you have Virgin Broadband via Cable? (Rather than via a telephone line.) How are these various boxes connected. What model of router do you have?

TellyTel

Distinguished Member
hi

yep its a wired cable from outside seperate from telephone line,

its been working fine but the last couple of months ive been losing the wired connection but wirless is fine still , virgin media is the isp.

im thinking about getting a new router as they dont seem to release new firmware for it.

linksys wrt54gs

mickevh

Distinguished Member
To repeat - we could do with exact make/models of your equipment (routers, cable boxes, modems, etc - don't really need the PC's at present,) usually printed on their serial number labels if nowhere else. Also a description (or a diagram) of what is connected to what and how (ethernet, USB, wifi, whatever.)

TellyTel

Distinguished Member
the problem is im not that up to scratch with all this ...

ok router is a linksys wrt54gs v5.1

my main broadband cable is connected into the router then a cable is going from the router to the pc.

this enables me to get internet on the pc and also a wirless connection.

really i would like a new router because firmware releases are outdated , could you reccomend a good router for use with my wired broadband?

thanks

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Sounds like you need to establish whether there is an issue with infrastructure or an errant PC: The fact that you can still get an Internet connection by wireless indicates that your router is still connecting to your ISP and routing properly.

The evidence would tend to suggest a problem with your either your wired PC or your wires.

The best way is to systematically change things and see whether the problem moves: Try a different ethernet port on your router. Try a different ethernet cable. Try a different device over the wires (like your laptop) instead of your PC. This should help you narrow down where the problem lies.

Routers are electronic devices, and consequently there is nothing in them to "wear out" over time (despite what Internet myth may lead you to believe.) It gets posted up here pretty regularly "I've had my router for X years and it's getting a bit 'old and tired,' what should I replace it with." Oftentimes people are just fishing for an excuse to buy a new toy. (Of course, I've never done that. :D )

If your router is working (which it is) then there's no reason to change it or upgrade it's firmware unless such an upgrade fixes some problem or avails you of some new feature you desire.

Last edited:

Pidsley

Standard Member
I have the same setup with the same equipment.

I also have a Squeezebox music system connected using the wireless router. I have problems with low signal and no signal in the farthest rooms from the router. This is especially in my conservatory (metal framed)!!

Is there a way of boosting the wirelss signal? Should I replce the router for a stronger signal version? (Do routers hav different strengths?)

Could I use Homeplugs to move the wireless to a more central part of the house? Should I consider hard wiring (Cat5e) certain rooms when I have the floors up?

I do not stream video at the moment (dont kow how) I have a 10mbs internet connection with Virgin. My laptops and PC only have 100mbs network cards.

Thinking about further I really do need a good wireless signal around the house for each of laptop use and also the Squeezebox duet hand controller needs wirelss connectivity.

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
1. Do routers hav different strengths?

2. Could I use Homeplugs to move the wireless to a more central part of the house? Should I consider hard wiring (Cat5e) certain rooms when I have the floors up?
1. No. Read the many threads here on using inSSIDer to improve WiFi.

2. Cabling is always better than the alternatives. You could use HomePlugs without any WiFi for those areas that have bad reception.

Last edited:

TellyTel

Distinguished Member
Sounds like you need to establish whether there is an issue with infrastructure or an errant PC: The fact that you can still get an Internet connection by wireless indicates that your router is still connecting to your ISP and routing properly.

The evidence would tend to suggest a problem with your either your wired PC or your wires.

The best way is to systematically change things and see whether the problem moves: Try a different ethernet port on your router. Try a different ethernet cable. Try a different device over the wires (like your laptop) instead of your PC. This should help you narrow down where the problem lies.

Routers are electronic devices, and consequently there is nothing in them to "wear out" over time (despite what Internet myth may lead you to believe.) It gets posted up here pretty regularly "I've had my router for X years and it's getting a bit 'old and tired,' what should I replace it with." Oftentimes people are just fishing for an excuse to buy a new toy. (Of course, I've never done that. :D )

If your router is working (which it is) then there's no reason to change it or upgrade it's firmware unless such an upgrade fixes some problem or avails you of some new feature you desire.

thanks

the strange thing is my mother who uses the computer logs onto her windows user account and has not had the problem at all , it seems to be just me ?

a while ago i was surfing the net and suddenly it stops working again , and i try a restart and it jams on the shuting down screen:confused: , this problem has happend about ten times now and it is the same all the time.

lose connection ,shut down and it jams:suicide:

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
thanks

the strange thing is my mother who uses the computer logs onto her windows user account and has not had the problem at all , it seems to be just me ?

a while ago i was surfing the net and suddenly it stops working again , and i try a restart and it jams on the shuting down screen:confused: , this problem has happend about ten times now and it is the same all the time.

lose connection ,shut down and it jams:suicide:
Its your PC.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Mmmm - that's a bit of a forelorn hope, but I guess worth a go. Sounds very much like an isue with your PC rather than the network proper, and more specifically, something to do with your "profile" on that PC (as opposed to a hardware issue.)

To throw out a few random ideas...

You could try creating yourself a new userid (hence new profile) on the PC and see if that's any better. If so then it's down to slogging through things like what browser plugins you have, firewalls, whether there's anything running under your id that's hijacking the bandwidth etc. etc.

ON my own PC, I used to have a "problem" with AVG anti-virus when it's "link scanner" option was active. Browsing would get incredibly slow after a while and sometimes lock up my entire IP stack. I "fixed" this problem by uninstalling and re-installing AVG without the browser (link scanner) integration enabled.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom