Intempo iFi-01 ipod speaker/dock

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by jone, Dec 20, 2006.

Tags:
  1. jone

jone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone any opinions on the the Intempo iFi-01 ipod speaker/dock (also known as the mStation Stereo Tower in the US)?

It looks kinda funky, but I'd like to know how it compares to similarly priced options (around £200-£250). Portability isn't an issue (it's going to sit permanently in one place) so it's primarily sound quality that interests me.

I'm keen to stick with the all-in-one option if possible to avoid trailing wires, so the fact that the left/right speaker separation is only 10 inches or so is a limitation I have to accept. But I guess this can't be any worse than the situation with the competitors such as the Bose SoundDock and iPod Hi-Fi.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Jon.

2. jone

jone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update -- I went ahead and bought the Intempo iFi-01 yesterday (£200 from John Lewis, price-matched to Comet).

In two words....very impressed. OK, I must admit I was won over initally by the looks, but the sound quality seems remarkably good considering the small speaker separation...and there is bass in bundles (I've had to crank the bass control right down to avoid upsetting the neighbours).

The build quality is probably the thing that impressed me most. Nice to see solid weighty components, with no plastic in sight. I guess the fact that it's floor-standing rather than shelf-mounted might put a few people off, but what you lose in portability you certainly gain in build/sound quality.

I can't say I'm too familiar with the iPod Hi-Fi and Bose SoundDock, but if anyone else has received a nice shiny iPod for Xmas and wants a dedicated speaker/dock be sure to give the iFi-01 an audition. Just make sure you've got understanding neighbours!!!

Jon.

3. geoyou

geoyou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi there, I just got one of these units from Costco, a snip just now at £140.

However, I have noticed a degree of mains hum. Is this normal? this is from the system with Ipod connected or not.

Will eventually take it back to costco for a replacement unit to eliminate any doubt, however it IS a weighty piece of kit....

4. geoyou

geoyou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok no replies but in case anyone come across this in the future. Took the item back to Costco, got a replacement. A lot better :smashin:

Good system, not the highest fidelity, think that the Jamo is better sound wise and my Tosh 32WLT66 remote also erratically changes the ipod whilst docked on the intempo unit. Apart from that a great piece of kit and yes it weighs a ton!