1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intelligent layer change! Why can't it always be like this?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Zone, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    My bargain of the sales was Pitch Black from DVD+ £7.99 delivered, marvellous.

However to tell the truth I have only just gotten around to watching it! And I'd completely forgotten where the layer change takes place, probably because it is in such an obviously perfect place, Chapter 10 to be specific just as the planet is plunged into "Pitch Black" by the eclipse.
    You dont see the change obviously (it is Pitch Black after all), but you do hear it not that it detracts from the movie, but still and getting to my point (finally), why cant all changes be dealt with in the same straight forward manner?

Si

PS. And why has it never been released in the UK cinema, what a shame. I for one would happily pay the fee to view this cracker of a movie on the big screen..

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It was released at the cinema, around the same time that the R1 DVD was released.

I saw it at home first, then went to see it on the big screen the next day. Fantastic film... Vin Diesel is gonna be massive and I can't wait for the sequel ('The Chronicles Of Riddick')!

3. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    How the hell did I miss it?????:(

4. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It wasn't advertised, criminally.

I only found out that it was on at the cinema after I watched the DVD and looked on the net for a UK release, only to find it was out at the time. I was the only one in the place watching it. Then again it was a Tuesday morning.

5. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's sad when they put so much effort in to letting us know some of the crap they do is comming on , and somthing great like this film can have the treatment it had . :( :(

i do think it is a lot better than most of the suposed epics that have been ramed down ar necks over the last year

6. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Criminal indeed:mad:

Its a bloody classic and I agree with your views Simon, the amount of garbage that is churned out and stuck on the big screen is disgraceful, however that is my opinion and I'm sure some would say the same about Pitch Black, but obviously they would have a serious mental disorder to think such a thing.:rolleyes:

I just hope someone has the foresight to re-issue it as a late night weekend filler at lets say the Cineworld in Wakefield:D

Si

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,541
    Pitch Black is an awsome film.....the disc has an excellent picture aswell!!

8. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Si

Living in Barnsley - don't you use the MeadowHell cinema?

9. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Laurel

I live in the village (twilightzone) of Royston half way between Barnsley and Wakey.
    Cineworld is my closest "quality" cinema;)

Si

10. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Si

Gotcha

Royston's not bad.

Straight in through Newmillerdam then past the Asda and over Chantry bridge.

I remember it well.....

Cheers

Laurel

PS I enjoyed Pitch Black as well.

11. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    still cineworld is better than what we used to have . atleast we don't get stuck to the floor anymore :D

compares a lot better to what i have at home . i do think that the seats a little close to the screen though (this comming from somone that sits 7' from a 6 1/2' screen ) and the sound is a little to loud for me ;)

i aint got pitch black on dvd yet . but i would rather have it than a lot . it is very good though . i did'nt even know it existed untill it had finished at the cinema and my brother got it (it was just that well advertised):mad: . i hav'nt been to the cinema in quite some time (not worth the effort for the crap that has been on) but i think it would have been worth a trip for this . inmyop it is destined to become a classic like alien (just as soon as people actualy hear of it and get to watch it)

it's just a shame that my wife has'nt got the same love of this sort of thing . she don't realy like anything unless it is soppy :rolleyes:

12. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You in Wakefield as well then Squid?

I seem to remember them showing a wierd trailer for Pitch Black in the Cinema. Can't remember what I was there to see, but I do remember thinking "I must see that". The trailer was similar to Alien, lots of jumping around, bits of Alien half showing, no dialogue... Pretty good actually.

Is it on the DVD then Si?

Cheers

Laurel

13. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    LOL:D

I wonder which one your referring to Simon? The one on Kirkgate I presume, I used to wipe my feet on the way out!! :eek:

But do you remember the usherettes with their tray of goodies, how quaint!!:D

I recently (4/5 months ago) went to the one in Barnsley which I might add is the worst cinema bar none, worse sound ever, I couldn't make out a single piece of dialogue so bad in fact we walked out, I'm sure the projectionist must have been myopic (apols to anyone who is and takes offence) but the picture was gastly beyond belief, however getting back on track again, I was delighted to see they had retained the intermission and the usherette came out with her tray and stood at the front of the cinema in front of the screen, it was the only thing I enjoyed that evening. ;)

It would have been nice to have had an intermission during my last visit to Cineworld when I went to view LOTR, great movie but I was dying for a pee 2 hours in and couldn't bear to go incase I missed something crucial.:D

Si

14. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Hi Laurel

Got my copy in the new year sales from DVD+, cost £7.99 delivered, just checked for you and they must have had a bit of a rush on for it as its been put up to £9.99, still half price if you normally buy your discs in the high street though!

I take your originally from this neck of the woods then?

Si

15. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heyup Si

Might get hold of that then - a tenner's not bad.

Yes - Born in Castelford, Lived in Barnsley 10 years (Monk Bretton), moved 3 years ago.

I know the area like the back of my DVD. :D

Cheers

PS. See much of Arthur Scargill or Geoff Boycott nowadays?

16. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi Laurel

i live in hemsworth . come from grimthorp and just moved from ackworth

the last time i went to barnsley cinema it was a pile of sh** .(that was a very very long time ago) i guess from what you have said there is no change .i know the old waky cinema was not the best in the world but it was generaly watchable at least

i too miss the intermision . it's garanteed no mater when you pop out you miss the best bit everytime . a great reson for watching stuff in the hc if you ask me

17. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry to dredge this one up again, but I just noticed - or rather hardly noticed, to my amazement - the best layer change I've come across yet!

It's Evolution, and it's fantastic. It's at the point where the alien chimps are knocking out the cameras in the cave. The picture focuses on the computer monitor for a few seconds. The picture contains no sound, the camera is totally still and the only movement in the picture is of some little data bars beneath the windows on the monitor screen. If I hadn't seen these data bars stop moving, I would have never known. Check it out.

There is no excuse for other films not to have such fantastic changes.

18. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Does anyone know when 'The Chronicles Of Riddick', is actually going to be released in the cinema stateside or is it still in production?

19. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Still in pre-production/production...

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't believe that their are so many people from my neck of the woods on here:D
    I live in Barnsley (Athersley North)and work in wakefield(West Yorkshire Probation Head Office in the Civic Quarter up near the Courts).
    I dont go to the Wakey Cineworld as I dont think it is as good as the UGC in Sheffield..plus we have one of those Yearly passes for the UGC;)

Barnsley's Odeon though...ahhhh the memories..lol