Intel Releases Digital Home Capabilities Assessment Tool

Me too, now. Thanks Mark.

done, Cheers Mark :thumbsup:

Thanks mark :thumbsup:

Will give this a whirl if i ever manage to settle on a HTPC build

Thanks alot. :clap:

Not sure if anyones tried this yet but from my experienec - don't!
It has no warnings with the disc, nothing you agree to when you pop the disc in your PC and it installs all sorts of things without any agreement, .net 2 and I'm not sure what else yet. It took about 15 mins to install on my x2 4200+. It then runs for what seems like over an hour, possibly downloading files too? Norton Internet Security was showing the program disable red cross (which I didn't authorise) and my normal desktop and commands were not accessible. It also rebooted my PC when it wanted to and tried to log me on automatically.

I've uninstalled it but my boot process now takes 10 - 20 minutes to get to the log on screen where it still seems to be trying to log me in automatically.
Unsuprisingly system restore doesn't work.

This is evil :devil: software in my view - be warned. :eek:

My experience wasn't quite so terrible - but it wasn't great either. I've subsequently unistalled and all seems well. Mine only took ~5 mins to install, didn't appear to be trying to download anything extra. My installation ended with an error message about having incompatible mpg decoder. I'm using Purevideo, I think it recommends PowerDVD among others. Also, I don't have DivX or quicktime installed.

Ho hum, quite extravagant sending these out via FedEx - I've got a nice HD clip of London out of the scripts data that it installed. All bar the mpg files play with a purple cast - known issue?

Sorted mine in the end, I found an old restore point that worked.

I got several wrong codec messages but I'm unclear if it was downloading or just decoding clips, I couldn't get the PC to do anything while it was running (and it's now a slouch either, 2GB RAM, x2 4200+ etc).

The disc is now in the bin.

I got mine yesterday, despite the reports I will still give it a go :) But will enable a logger to see exactly what it is doing.....

I didn't install but have had a poke around the DVD found the Release Notes & movie clips. It's actually less interesting than I thought. Having built my own HTPC I don't need an Intel tool to tell me whether I can watch HDTV!

I got mine yesterday, despite the reports I will still give it a go :) But will enable a logger to see exactly what it is doing.....

I'd be interested in the outcome. I guess my mistake was trusting Intel and then not being able to get out of it cleanly. :rolleyes:

With all due respect the Digital Home Tool (so aptly named) is probably more accustomed to Sckt 775 DH M/boards and intel processors, rather than AMD boards, as the original driver cd would have installed the Intel/Viiv graphics/sound drivers. I am sourcing a copy of this DVD and will test on my Viiv PC's.

No doubt that's fairly likely to be true, however I had no warning, no on screen agreement, nothing, bang - straight in!

I don't recall anything about it being only for specific systems when I signed up for the thing.

Anyway I'm sorted now & it was only a warning for others that they may not get what they expect - Just trying to be helpful.

Most definatley, im happy the warning is there. The intelcapabilities forum seems very underused, and there must be a reason for this! Any software aps coming from this stable I would be very cautious of as well! Even if if does have the Intel stamp on it.

Off topic, but how do you compare the X2 processors on cost to the Intel Dual core/Core 2 duo bigbry?

Given BigBry's warning, I'm not going to risk installing this. However I feel a bit guilty that Intel sent me this for free (from the US! by Fedex!?!) so if anyone wants my copy, reply here (first reply wins) and PM me your address and I'll drop it in the post.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom