Intel Microcode overclocking update in effect ?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by paulst10, Feb 6, 2014.

1. paulst10

paulst10
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,254
    Hi, for the first time, I am building a PC and have found an MSI B85 MB that seemed competitively priced and fitted in with the planned colour scheme
    MSI B85-G43 Gaming Intel LGA1150 B85 Gaming ATX Motherboard (4x DDR3, 4x USB 3, 8x USB 2, GBE, LAN, VGA, HDMI, DVI): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I planned to pair this with an i5 4670K but then happened to stumble across this.. Intel updates microcode to block H87/B85 overclocking | bit-tech.net After I had ordered it of course :rolleyes: But luckily I have a few days until it's dispatched.

So, could anyone shed any light on the situation as I can't seem to find much more info on whether I'd be able to overclock or not using this combo and I'd rather not try it to find out :D

2. paulst10

paulst10
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,254
    No-one overclocking a B85 with their latest bios update then ?

3. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,519
    I'm not sure if the integrated GPU overclocks on the B85, but certainly on the CPU side it's been standard practice for Intel for several generations that you need to pay the extra for a K-series CPU and Z-series motherboard if you want to overclock. The update you linked to happened the month after release.

4. paulst10

paulst10
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,254
    Thanks, so basically even with a K series processor it won't be possible? it seems odd how MSI are still advertising this as an overclockable B85 board if the update happened 6 months ago. MSI UK B85-G43 GAMING

Looks like I'm on the lookout for a Z87 board then, shame as this was ideal, well other than the fact it doesn't have optical out which is insane on a 'gaming' motherboard.

5. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,519
    Overclocking isn't necessarily the CPU though, and looking on the page I can't actually see explicit mention of being able to overclock the CPU.

The actual update would have depended on the motherboard manufacturer, looking at the bios page for that board it's likely to have been either the july update (which doesn't specify a change log) or the august one (which does mention the micro-code was updated). If MSI haven't made any hardware revisions it possible you might be able to flash the board with an old bios but as overclocking is a feature you've already spent £20 extra on the CPU to have it'd be a waste of money if it didn't work.

6. paulst10

paulst10
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,254
    Thanks again, would I see a huge difference using the 'one click overclock' feature these motherboards offer as having ever only OC'd a GPU once I'm not exactly comfortable doing it manually tweaking voltages etc! and I've heard that the one click features will never get the processing power you'd get doing it manually.. So I'm wondering if I'm only going to get a 3.4ghz - 4.0ghz increase for example using the one click, is it really worth it? I will mainly be using it for Counter Strike and maybe the odd game here or there, general internet use and storing most of my movies to access over network.

7. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,519
    They have to decide in a couple of seconds of tests whether the overclock is stable so they will naturally be more cautious than a user that spends days testing to determine the maximum error free clock speed.

It runs at 3.6Ghz stock (3.4Ghz nominal + 200Mhz turbo with four cores) so even if you get it to 4.3Ghz that's only 20% more performance. I'm not familiar with the latest version of counter-strike, but I believe it's source-based so probably not CPU-limited. It won't help there and unless you're buying a beast of a graphics card (or plan to upgrade your card before your CPU) it probably won't have too much impact on other games either.

If you do a lot of transcoding of movies then that extra 20% may be significant, either because you spend 20% less time sitting and waiting for it to finish or to enable a slightly higher level of quality for on-the-fly transcoding.