Intel E7200 v E6600

rumours is the E7200 is an overclocking monster. Seen a few with very little extra voltage already hitting 3.8ghz

That is a very good clock for such a cheap cpu (£80). The only slight draw back with the E7200 againts the E6600 is the E6600 has 4mb of cache and the E7200 has 3mb of cache.

From all accounts the E7200 is now the budget cpu of choice.

The E6600 isnt worth what its being sold for these days ie approx £140. I would rather get a Q6600 for that money as they clock about the same and the Q6600 has two extra cores.

:)

I've got the E6600 got it off e-bay for £70 and so far its ok but doesnt really feel as ultra fast as people make core 2 duo CPUs to be.

When i saw the E7200 i thought it could be faster but now looking at the specs the E6600 feels about the same speed.

I've got the E6600 got it off e-bay for £70 and so far its ok but doesnt really feel as ultra fast as people make core 2 duo CPUs to be.

When i saw the E7200 i thought it could be faster but now looking at the specs the E6600 feels about the same speed.

Yeah for the price of the E6600, which is poor really nowadays, you can get the E8400, and MINIMUM you'll hit 3.8ghz, with a half decent cooler, everyone I know is at 4ghz 100% stable, they're right up there with the Q6600's on the classic CPU scale :eek:

As an answer to your question, I'd go E7200 simply because of price... that's a cheap CPU and a great clocker!

Is it overclocked, if so what speed. :)

When I had mine, E6600, I've had it stable @ 3.43 giving a superpi calculation time 1M of 14.859sec. I wouldn't call it slow!:D

Is it overclocked, if so what speed. :)

No mines running at normal speed with Asus's AI suit set to auto.

I have overclocked it to 3.4ghz with air cooler, but due it being the summer and the room temp being hot i don't want to push it over normal, when winter comes I'll overclock it then.

Current CPU temp = 39 C, a few weeks ago when it was colder outside CPU temp and idle was close to 26-28 C.

No mines running at normal speed with Asus's AI suit set to auto.

I have overclocked it to 3.4ghz with air cooler, but due it being the summer and the room temp being hot i don't want to push it over normal, when winter comes I'll overclock it then.

Current CPU temp = 39 C, a few weeks ago when it was colder outside CPU temp and idle was close to 26-28 C.

Temps wont go up that much, they will only go uip by the amount the room temp has gone up. ie if the room temp is up by 5c then your temps will be up by 5c.

If the cpu isnt overclocked then it wont be as fast as if it was overclocked. I dont think you will see any difference if you swap to a E7200 over a E6600 if they were overclocked to about the same speed. Go for a quad core and overclock that if you want more.

Its hot inside so i guess the CPU temp is at room temp now.

Its hot inside so i guess the CPU temp is at room temp now.

Lets see if we can keep your cpu in overclocked mode and not at stock. Have you got any custom cooling on your setup? ie aftermarket cpu coolers? Also what pc case have you got? :)

Lets see if we can keep your cpu in overclocked mode and not at stock. Have you got any custom cooling on your setup? ie aftermarket cpu coolers? Also what pc case have you got? :)

My case is this cheap pile of kak
:-
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/134798

The cpu cooler is very similar to Scyth ninja cooler.

Thermal paste is arctic MX2

If its getting as warm as it is, it could be one of the 4 studs holds this on the case isnt properly pushed in............ not sure until i check it out.....

My case is this cheap pile of kak
:-
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/134798

The cpu cooler is very similar to Scyth ninja cooler.

Thermal paste is arctic MX2

If its getting as warm as it is, it could be one of the 4 studs holds this on the case isnt properly pushed in............ not sure until i check it out.....

Yeah its a cheap case but it does still have a decent amount of fans on it, so its not all bad. What fan have you got on your cpu cooler?

Yeah its a cheap case but it does still have a decent amount of fans on it, so its not all bad. What fan have you got on your cpu cooler?

Dunno, i know its 12cm one which came with the cooler.

Worth checking your fans are on the right way. I only recently realised the fan on the side panel of my case had come from the factory the wrong way round. Knocked 3 or 4 deg off each core of my hot PC.

I checked and the fans all work fine.

I took the heat sink off, cleaned off MX2 paste and re-applied a thinner layer, then connected it all up and pushed down the 4 studs, started it all up and the CPU is fine but the temperatures are still the same.

The CPU isnt over clocked. The PC has 3 hard drives which all produce a lot of heat (which i guess effects the CPU and motherboard temps).

The current room temp = 28 C, the CPU temp at idle = 39 C, motherboard temp = 37 C.

2-3 weeks earlier when it was colder weather, the house was colder and thus the CPU at idle = 26 C, motherboard temp = 28 C.

In data centres and IT depts, computer rooms are very cold and have permanent air con set to cold, i guess this is down to heat build up.

Just hope the CPU stabilises at around this temp as I cant do any more to keep it cool.

Most people have Arctic silver 5 thermal paste, i have that stuff as well but i dont think it will lower the CPU temp any more than MX2.

My old AMD Athlon 2500 (with arctic 5 paste) is now running at 70 C, so i guess it is down to weather, hotter it gets, hotter PCs get :(

Apart from the CPU temp, the PC's running fine with no crashes etc at all.

It sounds like your set-up (pc case) isnt getting the heat out quick enough hence the build up and increase of heat. Your load temps are what you should worry about and not your idle temps. Have you tried running Prime95 and maxing out your cpu. Do this and monitor your temps. let us know what sort of temps you are getting after 30mins of prime. :)

It sounds like your set-up (pc case) isnt getting the heat out quick enough hence the build up and increase of heat. Your load temps are what you should worry about and not your idle temps. Have you tried running Prime95 and maxing out your cpu. Do this and monitor your temps. let us know what sort of temps you are getting after 30mins of prime. :)

Dont' think he wants to be going over 70C with 100% cpu utilisation, that's what I have at worst case scenario at this weather... but then again my Q6600 is at 3.2ghz with an Asus Silent Knight CPY HSF/Fan.. which isn't the best in the world...

Dont' think he wants to be going over 70C with 100% cpu utilisation, that's what I have at worst case scenario at this weather... but then again my Q6600 is at 3.2ghz with an Asus Silent Knight CPY HSF/Fan.. which isn't the best in the world...

Thats correct 70c is the max I would take mine upto. 65c at max to be on the safe side. :)

In this weather i'd rather not max it out as although by peoples standards on here the E6600 is " old ", to me its " new " as its newer than my old AMD Athlon 2500 XP.

When it gets cooler then i'll try.

This morning when i woke up it was cooler out side, when i used the PC that was running cooler as well.

The PC case i got as 2 x 80 mm fans at the back (near the CPU heat sink) which work all the time, but i guess its down to room temps etc which effect how cold the PC runs.

In this weather i'd rather not max it out as although by peoples standards on here the E6600 is " old ", to me its " new " as its newer than my old AMD Athlon 2500 XP.

When it gets cooler then i'll try.

This morning when i woke up it was cooler out side, when i used the PC that was running cooler as well.

The PC case i got as 2 x 80 mm fans at the back (near the CPU heat sink) which work all the time, but i guess its down to room temps etc which effect how cold the PC runs.

But thats the whole point of running a program like prime to see what your pc rig can do and what is its limitations. Just monitor the temps and kill of prime 95 if they get too high. At least you will know if your pc is safe at 100% load or near that load. I would rather now than not know and run the risk of damaging my pc. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom