Intel DG45ID HD audio - Loss of sound

Ian Ball

Novice Member
Help !!

I have a Intel DG45ID motherboard. (Bought new with installation/utilities disk).

Installed it and everything fine except when I clicked shut down in windows 7 it did not close down the computer entirely - fans and drives still 'whirring' leading to manual pressing of on/off button.

Device manager showed a problem with 'Interface management engine' - mentioned this to someone who said I should use Intels download centre to get latest driver as installation disk might not contain it.

Intels download centre has feature which checks your computer for any drivers they have updates for and showed I could get newer bios and management engine software.

Duly downloaded, followed instructions and got message 'bios successfully updated'.

I click shut down and 'hey presto' the computer fully switched off. Wonderful !

THEN...... I switch the machine on and go into media centre and there is picture but no sound. I then go into another application and no sound. I look at device manager and the Intel high definition audio feature has disappeared.

I try reloading it with my installation disk and I get the message - 'This driver is not supported by your hardware'.

I downloaded the latest version from Intel and try installing it and same message.

Deciding that having sound is more important than irritating switch off, I decided I would iflash old bios using recovery disk

In boot menu shows successful return to old bios (version number shown) BUT no bleeding sound still !!

And any attempt to introduce HD codec from installation disk/internet just gets the message 'Your hardware does not support this driver'

Incredibly frustrating as it was working fine.

Any ideas, anyone ? :lease:

sparky10

Help !!

I have a Intel DG45ID motherboard. (Bought new with installation/utilities disk).

Installed it and everything fine except when I clicked shut down in windows 7 it did not close down the computer entirely - fans and drives still 'whirring' leading to manual pressing of on/off button.

Device manager showed a problem with 'Interface management engine' - mentioned this to someone who said I should use Intels download centre to get latest driver as installation disk might not contain it.

Intels download centre has feature which checks your computer for any drivers they have updates for and showed I could get newer bios and management engine software.

Duly downloaded, followed instructions and got message 'bios successfully updated'.

I click shut down and 'hey presto' the computer fully switched off. Wonderful !

THEN...... I switch the machine on and go into media centre and there is picture but no sound. I then go into another application and no sound. I look at device manager and the Intel high definition audio feature has disappeared.

I try reloading it with my installation disk and I get the message - 'This driver is not supported by your hardware'.

I downloaded the latest version from Intel and try installing it and same message.

Deciding that having sound is more important than irritating switch off, I decided I would iflash old bios using recovery disk

In boot menu shows successful return to old bios (version number shown) BUT no bleeding sound still !!

And any attempt to introduce HD codec from installation disk/internet just gets the message 'Your hardware does not support this driver'

Incredibly frustrating as it was working fine.

Any ideas, anyone ? :lease:
Hi,when you updated the bios then reverted it again I was wondering if you may have disabled the on board audio? Looking at Intels support for this board there are several trouble shooting options to look at including a audio diagnostic wizard, this may help, but I am guessing that the on board audio has been disabled in the bios. Have put the link in below and hope that this may help you sort it out.

Troubleshooting for the Intel® Desktop Board DG45ID

Ian Ball

Novice Member
Hi Sparky,
thanks for the reply,

I have gone into the Bios service menu by pressing F2 before windows kicks in and under peripheral configuration, the Audio and High Definition Audio tabs both show Enabled.

I am puzzled because the message 'Your hardware is not compatible with this driver' would imply that it does not recognize the inbuilt HDMI output on my motherboard anymore, yet I am still able to output video from it, just no sound.

And when I used the installation disk when I first got the board it recognised it just fine.

This motherboard on talking to various people has a very bad history of people complaining to Intel, usually to do with the Intel Management engine interface struggling to prove compatible with Windows O/S changes.

Deeply frustrating though that the sound that was working ok, I still cannot recover, no matter what version of Bios I now use. I have also tried to install different versions of the HDMI audio driver that came with it but again, no success - just that same goddam message. :confused:

Last edited:

sparky10

Hi Sparky,
thanks for the reply,

I have gone into the Bios service menu by pressing F2 before windows kicks in and under peripheral configuration, the Audio and High Definition Audio tabs both show Enabled.

I am puzzled because the message 'Your hardware is not compatible with this driver' would imply that it does not recognize the inbuilt HDMI output on my motherboard anymore, yet I am still able to output video from it, just no sound.

And when I used the installation disk when I first got the board it recognised it just fine.

This motherboard on talking to various people has a very bad history of people complaining to Intel, usually to do with the Intel Management engine interface struggling to prove compatible with Windows O/S changes.

Deeply frustrating though that the sound that was working ok, I still cannot recover, no matter what version of Bios I now use. I have also tried to install different versions of the HDMI audio driver that came with it but again, no success - just that same goddam message. :confused:
I wonder if the onboard sound has packed up, might be worth putting in a dedicated Pci sound card, might be able to get a reasonable one here on the classifieds.

Ian Ball

Novice Member
Yes, that would appear to be my only option now. Tempted to just change the motherboard though, if I can raise the extra cash needed. Google 'Intel DG45ID motherboard problem' and it is no surprise to learn that it was quickly discontinued by Intel !!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom