Intel D845PEBT2

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Jeff, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I'm putting a new HTPC togther so I decided to try out the new Intel D845PEBT2 motherbaord. Initially I had problems with the PC not posting but I found out it use due to the fancy Corsair memory I had. I'm now using regular Crucial stuff and everything is fine. This P4 motherboard has an onboard Soundmax with digital coax and optical outputs. I was interested in this because I had a theory that bypassing the PCI bus might be an advantage. So how does it work? First I tried the wave digital out mode with Zoomplayer and Sonic filters, the sound was out by seconds!. So next I tried the direct sound method, this time the lip sync is fine. I've done virtually no tweaking at this stage and playback is spot on, no stutter at all. Sound quality also seams very good, better than the Philips PCI card. I'm well impressed.

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    It's not a bad AC'97 codec that soundmax chip.
    If you're interested in knowing more about it, have a look at www.soundmax.com (lots of Marketing BS there) or go to www.analog.com and type in "PC Pavilion" in the keyword search.

Which IC does it use ?
    (it could be AD1885, AD1891 or a number of other ICs).

I have to declare my interest here in that I am actually an applications engineer for Analog Devices myself !
    I also have to admit that my own desktop PC (MSI 845E motherboard) doesn't use one of our chips & neither does my Turtle Beach Montego sound card.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi Chris,

It uses the ad1980, it took me ages to find the chip on the motherboard, its tiny!.

4. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Right. I know that one - have supported one of customers who is using it on a Mobo design.
    It's a quad output, AC'97 V2.3 compliant device with variable sample rate + jack-sensing.
    Our part number sequences could be improved 'cos the AD1980 came after the AD1981A.
    If you wanna know more , PM me.
    (but you're probably more interested in actually using it rather than the hardware itself :)

Chris Muriel, Manchester