• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Intel compute stick

next010

Distinguished Member
The cheap one is an Intel Atom the more expensive one is a Core M3.

Depends on what you use it for, okay for basic usage but if you want it do do anything else then your going to be sticking on a USB hub for ethernet, HDD, IR receiver etc or other extras so the stick concept really only goes so far.

You can get Intel Atom tablets that are arguably more useful being a basic tablet and as they have HDMI out can be plugged into the TV same as a stick.

saguk1234

Prominent Member
Thanks. The most powerful one is the m5. All I want it for is to use it for internet, download stuff, server transfers. I wonder with a USB 3.0 to Ethernet adaptor if I am going to get 100MBs plus write speed? And I am wondering what the write speed is like to the internal 64gb ssd. I would like to get the potential kaby lake version for 4k playback.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
It's a tablet without a screen,
Thanks. The most powerful one is the m5. All I want it for is to use it for internet, download stuff, server transfers. I wonder with a USB 3.0 to Ethernet adaptor if I am going to get 100MBs plus write speed? And I am wondering what the write speed is like to the internal 64gb ssd. I would like to get the potential kaby lake version for 4k playback.

It's eMMC rather than an SSD so don't expect particularly good write speeds. I'd expect that to be the write speed limitation instead of a USB 3.0 to (gigabit) ethernet adapter, at least assuming larger files.

EDIT: Youch, I just looked at the price of the M5 compute stick. If you're going to be hanging adapters off it anyway then I wouldn't even consider it for £500. You can pick up a far more capable MiniPC for that price and they're typically small & light enough to be hidden in most setups using sticky velco pads or the like.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom