Intel chipset in NAS, 30% performance reduction due to Meltdown and Spectre patches?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Vidocq, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Vidocq

Vidocq
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I have doubts whether to buy the Synology DS218+ or DS218. The Intel chipset in the 218+ model is pulling me out. As you are aware, Intel has found a big safety issue in all their chipsets from 1995 onwards. The 218+ uses a Intel Celeron J3355, appears in the list of affected chips The Complete List Of CPUs Vulnerable To Meltdown / Spectre Rev. 4.0.

I am concerned that now Synology will release safety patches Synology Security Advice for Meltdown and Spectre Vulnerabilities that will reduce the NAS performance, similar as Windows is doing Microsoft says Meltdown and Spectre fixes will slow some PCs down significantly

On the other hand, the DS218 model has an ARM chipset (Realtek RTD1296) and its around £65 cheaper. I will use the NAS to store movies, photos and music. I have read ARM chipset are not powerfull enough to run PLEX but first I am not sure how useful PLEX is and second I am considering to buy also an external transcoder like Nvidia Shield or equivalent.

Based on these statements, Which of these two NAS would you recommend to buy and reasons for that?

Thanks in advance for your answers

Vidocq

2. maf1970

maf1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
  3. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,092
    Remains to be seen how Plex will be affected, only certain operations seem to take the biggest hit. Now whether that matters to a home NAS and Plex I do not know. Also some of the performance hit can be mitigated if the CPU supports Intels PCID feature, whether the J3355 (CPU in 218+) does I do not know either but it is a recent model so it might ?

Also that should only apply to Plex general operations, on Synology NAS Plex uses the Intel hardware based video transcoding and the DS218+ is a recommended model for that.

If you buy an Nvidia shield then the performance of Plex on the sever when it comes to transcoding doesn't matter. The shield can play all the media locally on the box, the server is just something to point to for storage and media listings.

4. BrightCandle

BrightCandle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    From the tests so far it looks like the impact is mostly at NVMe speeds where the CPU is pushing through gigabytes a second. At NAS speeds of 100MB/s it just doesn't have an impact.

Saying that in the past I had an ARM based NAS and it limited the throughput. If the Intel CPU is similarly close to the limit then you could be talking about a 30% drop in some circumstances.

5. Vidocq

Vidocq
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your answers guys. I have finally decided to purchase the DS218 as it was closer to my budget. Hopefully the lower ARM chipset performance will not affect me very much as we are only two people at home.
    to Maf1970, the PLEX list does not show the new Synology models like the DS218 but I understand both DS218 and 218+ are Plex compatible
    To BrightCandle, what is the ARM chipset limitation that you are talking about? is the DS218 chipset much worst than the DS218+ one?
    FYI I have also bought the Asus DSL AC98 router from Maplin at £110, hopefully this have a great impact to the NAS performance and it will help with any NAS streaming or similar
    Regards!!