• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Intel Chipset 975x or 965x

M

Mr G Force

Hi All, I'm about to embark on building a new pc based around the new conroe E6600. On looking around for a decent motherbaord I seem to have got a little confussed. :suicide:

One would presume that the 975x is the latest chipset, however i'm not sure that it supports DDR2 pc8000 but does support crossfire, and the 965 supports DDR2 pc8000 but not crossfire. Is this right or can anyone shed any light on this one.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of a good motherboard to support the new conroe, and DDR2 pc8000.

I have decieded on the Ati 1900xt 512mb as my first graphics card which is asus/sapphire but may well go crossfire at a later date.

PeteD64

The 975x has been out for some time & only some motherboards with that chipset will work with the Conroe chips (something to do with voltage).

965 is new & all motherboards should be fine with Conroe.

There's some ueful information here

M

Mr G Force

Many Thanks for the link Pete, Will do a little bit more reading on it later. However it looks like it's best to wait until the motherboard producers start bringing out New boards for the conroe which support sli and crossfire. Looks like it won't be long either.

I am surprised that the older 975 chipset supports crossfire and the newer 965 chipset does not, but you are right about the voltages.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom