Intel apple imac running windows queries/help needed

toxic mango

I had resolved waiting to get the imac till next year when leopard will be released but other half has her heart set on it.

I had a couple q's and your responses would be deeply appreciated.

1) Can the creative vision M run on the imac if I was running windows xp.

2) Can picassa work on the imac under windows xp.

3) How well does cs run under emulation/or windows xp

4) Does running windows xp mean the imac will be prone to viruses

5) Is it worthwhile getting the apple care warranty ??? for £159 or am I better getting the comets 3 year accidental damage/repair warranty for £199

6) How easy it to upgrade the imac

7) If the imac is not upgradeable I would I still be able to run future programmes such as leopard etc without any problems.

Thanks

TM

Mac does not emulate windows, it runs it natively, so same as using the PC, can run photoshop and do anything a pc running windows can do, don't see why your creatvie vision won't work with the mac as long as it has usb ports, like any other windows pc your prone to virus's. but hard drive is partitioned so if you mess up XP it should not affect MAX OS

Lsp15

Banned
agree with post above. You will also find XP runs slow. Some functions dont work when you switch to xp hard drive such as bluetooth, isight. Check out www.apple.com/uk for more info.

I have intel mac and dont really use the xp part, it crashes which im not used to being a mac user for 10 years ;)

imac is upgradeable but not as easy as say a powermac. Get as much ram as you can afford when you purchase your imac.

Apple care warranty is worth it, any faults will be fixed and in some cases they offer replacement which sometimes is better than your current machine. I know someone who had a powerbook which got a fault under apple warranty, PB couldn't be repaired so he got a macbook pro as replacement!

agree with post above. You will also find XP runs slow. Some functions dont work when you switch to xp hard drive such as bluetooth, isight. Check out www.apple.com/uk for more info.
Actually windows runs pretty fast, faster on the macbook with 2GB RAM than on a Dell core2duo laptopnwith 512MB RAM, not buggy at all, if you have 2GB of RAM then windows in insanely fast, you won't be able to tell than your using it on a mac, apart from the no right click option, but you can use a USB mouse, also Isight now works, well the one built into the macbook and bluetooth should work at least it shows up under windows, also note than a 2GHZ Coreduo macbook can play 1080P H264 Files in windows with no problem what so ever, either with corecodec or Power DVD HD, could not find a single problem with windows on the mac, everything I could do on a my 3.4GHZ Dual Core PC I could do on the 2GHZ Macbook.., also you can set the macbook to boot windows as the default OS, so no need to select OS on startup, if you want to boot up MAC OS hold down the "alt" key on startup..., the macbook is smaller than a standard windows laptop, and it can run either Windows XP or MAC OS, so if you after a new PC get a mac and have the best of both worlds...

Lsp15

Banned
Actually windows runs pretty fast, faster on the macbook with 2GB RAM than on a Dell core2duo laptopnwith 512MB RAM, not buggy at all, if you have 2GB of RAM then windows in insanely fast, you won't be able to tell than your using it on a mac, apart from the no right click option, but you can use a USB mouse, also Isight now works, well the one built into the macbook and bluetooth should work at least it shows up under windows, also note than a 2GHZ Coreduo macbook can play 1080P H264 Files in windows with no problem what so ever, either with corecodec or Power DVD HD, could not find a single problem with windows on the mac, everything I could do on a my 3.4GHZ Dual Core PC I could do on the 2GHZ Macbook.., also you can set the macbook to boot windows as the default OS, so no need to select OS on startup, if you want to boot up MAC OS hold down the "alt" key on startup..., the macbook is smaller than a standard windows laptop, and it can run either Windows XP or MAC OS, so if you after a new PC get a mac and have the best of both worlds...

Er well i must be doing something wrong then on my 2.16ghz Macbook Pro, 2 gig of ram and 120 HD.

I can only go off my experience and i find windows buggy on my mac. If most of your programs are windows based why waste money buying a mac that won't be your main os? Don't get me wrong I love everything Apple but im a graphics professional so my money is well spent

toxic mango

Er well i must be doing something wrong then on my 2.16ghz Macbook Pro, 2 gig of ram and 120 HD.

I can only go off my experience and i find windows buggy on my mac. If most of your programs are windows based why waste money buying a mac that won't be your main os? Don't get me wrong I love everything Apple but im a graphics professional so my money is well spent
Main reason for a pc is that my 6 years old dell machine with amazing .975 processor, whopping 192mb ram, 40gn hardrive, 32bit graphics card is on its last legs. Any photoediting programme is next to impossible to run on it.

As I can get the 20" imac for approx £760 (instead of £1000). This seemed like a good price because of the widescreen and because i will have best of both world pc and mac. Finally whilst I have creative zen vision, other half has her heart set on ipod so that keep it all together. £760 price after 13% disc on comet voucher and 10% through friends staff disc. Thought that even if I was to sell it tommorrow would still be profitable and hopefully next year I would not lose much if i did ever upgrade

Also will get cs3 when it is released, however for the time being was hoping to be bale to use picassa which is great but unfortunately only runs on windows