Intel 8th Gen i5 NUC + Akasa Turing Fanless Case Build

shoeoffhead

Novice Member
To finish off my build info. I did post the antennas info in the other AVForum members NUC thread but will put them here too:

All you need: https://www.amazon.co.uk/WayinTop-W...1556473242&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr1&tag=av0c-21 £8.99

View attachment 1182073

View attachment 1182072

View attachment 1182071

View attachment 1182070
How did you come to the conclusion to buy this cable? I also ordered an IPEX MHF4 (not your antenna) antenna but it didn't fit. I think the plug is slightly too small. I also didn't find in the specs from Intel NUC anything about that plug. Is it some Intel-specific version of the IPEX? Maybe some cables fit, some don't depending on manufacturing tolerances.

fallinlight

How did you come to the conclusion to buy this cable? I also ordered an IPEX MHF4 (not your antenna) antenna but it didn't fit. I think the plug is slightly too small. I also didn't find in the specs from Intel NUC anything about that plug. Is it some Intel-specific version of the IPEX? Maybe some cables fit, some don't depending on manufacturing tolerances.
Some connectors are definitely smaller/ of different tolerance than others. One I purchased from Amazon was the correct type, but for the life of me, I could not get it to fit. I actually gave up on it for weeks until trying again, and eventually got it to fit. I think it loosened up into shape even. I needed extremely firm pressure from my thumb nail I think it was, to get it in. Keep trying.

shoeoffhead

Novice Member
Some connectors are definitely smaller/ of different tolerance than others. One I purchased from Amazon was the correct type, but for the life of me, I could not get it to fit. I actually gave up on it for weeks until trying again, and eventually got it to fit. I think it loosened up into shape even. I needed extremely firm pressure from my thumb nail I think it was, to get it in. Keep trying.
The problem is, that WIFI card is soldered to the mainboard. If I damage its plugs it's game over :(

Probably I bought low quality plugs. The original plugs are already tricky to plug in just because they are very tiny. My new plugs are of the same size but probably of low quality so the measurements don't fit well.

fallinlight

Try another set, you will get there eventually, I am positive. Very best with it

Canti1982

I've just done the same build and bought the matching Akasa wifi antenna. I just can't get them to fit, how hard do you have to push the connectors onto the main board? Any tips welcome! Cheers!

EtheAv8r

Standard Member
Try this; it is an Intel NUC MacinHack build, but the hardware part is all you need:

The standard NUC antennas will not reach, you have bought the Akasa alternative ones, I don't use or want WiFi on my NUC Rock, so it was not a problem. The tiny connector is delicate, but a firm press should click it in - check nothing is bent on the pin or connector, keep it central and flat and all should be well.

Last edited:

Canti1982

I have just been looking again at the Akasa connectors and to me they look larger than the ones that come attached to the standard nuc case. Despite buying the ones suggested by Akasa. I tried fitting the internal one from the nuc case and that it without too much issue. So now I'm trying to figure out which is the correct one to buy.
It's either that or I abandon the idea and buy another google wifi point and connect it to that.

Canti1982

Hard to get a picture of but I managed to magnify the difference, the top one is from the original nuc case and the bottom is the one from Akasa which says its I-PEX MHF4L to RP-SMA female.
Now I don't know which is the correct type but the Akasa clearly looks too big.

Any advice welcomed 👍
_20200801_182611.JPG

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020
Top Bottom