Intel 8i7BEH 8th Gen NUC + Akasa Plato X8 Fanless PC Build

If your only playing movies at home to the likes of smartTV's or other kit with built-in plex or media servers then they will play files without the need for transcoding which even a lowly old i3 NUC could easily handle if your on good home network (gigabit wired or high-speed wi-fi).

Family can be watching stuff from my server remotely (son at uni, best mate at his house & brother-in-law at his house) over my 50/20mbps internet. That could lead to 3 simultaneous transcodes to downsize my media files to each (normally anywhere from 3mbps 720p to say 12mbps 1080p transcodes). If the source file is a 4K rip it can be a big load on the NUC.

If your not streaming, why go for the i7 ? It will have a higher power usage (I also like to keep this to a minimum).

I'm obviously pushing the little NUC hard on occasion.

I think I over spent, someone else told me the i5 would have been fine for me. But I watch the full metadata 4K HDR film file. This is at 120" diagonal. Thought I might turn it into a capa le gaming PC if I geel like it, too by adding an external GPU - excellent that it is Thunderbolt. So, thought I would just get the i7 to be safe.

Anyway, almost all of my film viewing is from disc still.

Kind thanks, I was going to use the antennas I have from this order,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FDN82D8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Shall I get the highest dBi I can find? One item says 6 dBi is fine for small areas/ home. I live in a house so perhaps 7 - 8 dBi would be safe? Antennas I currently have are 6 dBi.

I read that the shorter the pigtail/ lead, the better? 10 cm would be perfect, but if 20 cm (will be slightly excess in the run) is OK, I will go for that.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
For indoor use in a typical home I'd say 5-9dbi will be fine. I don't use mine wireless but do use BT kb/mouse on occasion (still like to ensure both cabled up to antenna) . Really can't see any issue with lead length 10 or 20cm. I just ordered the cheapest kit at £7.99.

This new NUC would be my 4th installed into Akasa Cases.

Last edited:
For indoor use in a typical home I'd say 5-9dbi will be fine. I don't use mine wireless but do use BT kb/mouse on occasion. Really can't see any issue with lead length 10 or 20cm. I just ordered the cheapest kit at £7.99.

Excellent, many thanks for that. I tried a couple Bluetooth mice, but all had lag and wake up time. I have found wireless to be better and 100% consistent, in my room.

Excellent, many thanks for that. I tried a couple Bluetooth mice, but all had lag and wake up time. I have found wireless to be better and 100% consistent, in my room.

I just access mine headless from my main gaming PC, laptop or work (or even smartphone) 99.99% of the time just using RDS (with OpenVPN remotely) so normally no screen/keyboard/mouse use to it.

Just used as a box for file storage & as media server using as little power as possible with it on 24/7. Can be sat untouched for months just doing its stuff with occasional updates & new files transferred to it. Scheduled auto-backups to my QNAP NAS.

Currently have over 8TB of media files, everything gets ripped from disc & don't use actual disks in players at all now.

Last edited:
I just access mine headless from my main gaming PC, laptop or work (or even smartphone) 99.99% of the time just using OpenVPN & RDS so normally no screen/keyboard/mouse use to it. Just used as a box for file storage & as media server using as little power as possible with it on 24/7. Can be sat untouched for months just doing its stuff with occasional updates & new files transferred to it.

Sorry, I don't fully understand what you said. I'm a simple, plug and play sort of person at heart. I know headless means no screen - had to look that one up the other day! But I gather you mean that you use your mini PC as a media server and file storage device.

Will longer antennas be better? I already have these,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FDN82D8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They look longer than these,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07PG8RWDQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3F8F97TMOROPI&psc=1

I think I might as well get the above the set you linked me and I can compare both.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Antenna length is a space issue for me on my AV shelf (gap between shelves). Long ones would be better if you have the space as more away from the Aluminium casing.

Sorry, I just remote connect to my NUC using Windows Remote Desktop Service (built-in to Windows + also an app for phones/tablets). If accessing my NUC remotely I connect to my home router via OpenVPN for secure connection.

Only time I would hook-up attached screen/keyboard/mouse is if it became unresponsive & I had to trouble shoot it. I even have mine powered from a small UPS so can even operate for about 1hr if loose power to the house (protects media drives plus noise/surge protection).

Antenna length is a space issue for me on my AV shelf (gap between shelves). Long ones would be better if you have the space as more away from the Aluminium casing.

OK, excellent, thank you. Think I will just go with the 10 cm pigtails (no antennas) and use my existing, longer 6 dBi antennas. I have enough space on my rack.

If assessing my NUC remote from home I connect to my home router via OpenVPN for secure connection.

That's pretty neat, forget about things like that.

Only time I would hook-up attached screen/keyboard/mouse is if it became unresponsive & I had to trouble shoot it. I even have mine powered from a small UPS so can even operate for about 1hr if loose power to the house (protects media drives plus noise/surge protection).

Your set up sounds great, well done.

I go through obsessive phases, researching and sometimes trying such things out, but like I said, I'm quite a bare bones, plug and play guy, at heart. I have been focusing a lot of energy on my home cinema room at the moment, which is really taking shape.

Do you know of a good remote I can control my NUC to do the following?

Power on from cold
Power down
Sleep
Ideally, use as a remote for Cyberlink Power DVD and to navigate my desktop

I tried the official Xbox 360 remote on a whim, but it only turns it on and off, if I remember correctly.

Only smart remote I've ever used is a low-end Harmony (still have somewhere). Don't use a remote with my NUC's seeing as they're used only as a server, not as direct players.

I did have the Cyberlink remote a few years ago too for use with my QNAP.

Do you have a external USB BR drive connected to your NUC? I even have and external BR read/write USB drive (not connected & rarely use but useful to have).

Manged to get Scan to source me the Akasa Turing. Special order as not even on their system yet (or anybody else's that I've seen). ~ £115 with delivery expected 5-7 days. Great price considering the Plato not much cheaper at £99 yet Turing much more Aluminium.

May to a "build" thread when it arrives.

Only smart remote I've ever used is a low-end Harmony (still have somewhere). Don't use a remote with my NUC's seeing as they're used only as a server, not as direct players.

I did have the Cyberlink remote a few years ago too for use with my QNAP.

Cool. Is there something/ Harmony perhaps, that I can use to operate all of my devices (JVC X7900, UHD player, Yamaha amp etc?). Sick of so many remotes.

BR drive connected to your NUC? I even have and external BR read/write USB drive (not connected & rarely use but useful to have).

Nope. Used to have a drive in my old PC, though. Was scouting for a good external 4K ripper but can't find one, just that LG internal one. Can't be asked at the moment, just playing from disc.

Manged to get Scan to source me the Akasa Turing. Special order as not even on their system yet (or anybody else's that I've seen). ~ £115 with delivery expected 5-7 days. Great price considering the Plato not much cheaper at £99 yet Turing much more Aluminium.

Lovely. The Plato is unbelievably robust and strong. I've knocked it HARD with a plug and one other time with something, thinking - or not even thinking, I kind of knew it would be OK - that there would be at least a small dent, mark, scratch or chip. But nothing whatsoever. Pretty bloody good and a massive relief, considering I suffer severe OCD over things like this.

May to a "build" thread when it arrives.

I look forward to reading it if you do.

Ah, yes, kind thanks, psikey, these are what I have seen other fellow AV enthusiasts link to and talk about.

It arrived and on initial viewing looks fantastic. Will create a build thread as I go.

Looks as if it might have space for a thicker 2.5" drive but won't know until I build it.

20190503_122946.jpg

UPDATE

Check out here if interested Intel 8th Gen i5 NUC + Akasa Turing Fanless Case Build

Last edited:
Other things to note

You loose the NUCs SD card function, unless it is possible to mod the X8. I forget the location of the SD card chip, but perhaps there is a workaround. You also loose the microphone function, unless you purchase new wires that run the correct length for the X8s left and right microphone holes. These are either side at the face of the case. The mics would come in handy for me for the odd video call, but this will soon be in my AV rack at the back of my room.

I am not capable of undertaking this sort of thing so bravo.

I've read this with interest as I had Scan build this for me using the same NUC & X8 case.

However, I returned it complaining the dual mic array hadn't been connected. Scan sent a replacement & again, despite me asking them to check the mics prior to dispatch, sent out a replacement minus the dual array microphone set up.

Included with the case is the microphone extension wire to reach from the mother board to the front, only Scan have removed the microphones altogether & haven't sent them to me.

So, can i please ask; did you receive the micrphhone extension cable as part of the X8 case contents when purchased? If so, did you choose not to use it due to your intended purpose for the PC?

I'm inclined to return this yet again because I do wish to use the mics. What I will say is, the unit is absolutely silent other than this issue & exactly what I wanted from a new PC, silence.

So, can i please ask; did you receive the micrphhone extension cable as part of the X8 case contents when purchased? If so, did you choose not to use it due to your intended purpose for the PC?

Good morning, @Barney Gumble, I hope you are well.

No, the microphone extension lead was not included and as far as I am aware, according to the manual, is not meant to be included. Yes, that is correct, I chose not to use the microphone due to my intended purpose for my PC. To date, since my last post, everything has been 100% stable.

I am not hot on this stuff, and it is only the second PC I have built. I just taught myself with a bit of daring. That is all you need. Then the daring disappears really once you gain confidence.

I'm inclined to return this yet again because I do wish to use the mics. What I will say is, the unit is absolutely silent other than this issue & exactly what I wanted from a new PC, silence.

Again, I would not worry. I don't think the manufacturer or supplier has messed you around - to my knowledge. I purchased mine from Quiet PC, and they were very good to deal with.

Best regards,

fallinlight

@psikey, I finally installed a Wi Fi antenna (bluetooth needs a lead longer than 10 cm). But after trying all combinations of the nut, washer and washer/ spacer lock (I think it is called), I cannot get the antenna to be sturdy. I have all fixings on the outer side, as pictured below. The antenna just flops around if I move my PC and I cannot turn it 360 degrees around without the nut etc and the wire instead rotating (it will of course coil up the more you spin it). Should I be able to rotate the antenna 360 degrees? Or, are they designed to just lift up and press down flat - that is natural and easy to do to it. The ridged end part of the antenna is very tight and does not really rotate unless you force it.

I have turned by hand, the nut as tight as I can. It tightens and feels tight. But after screwing in the antenna and any attempt to rotate the antenna left/ right, the fixings and antenna becomes loose. I looked at my Yamaha A3070 AVRs antenna, which is solid, in place.

Here is a photo:

20190505_210129.jpg

Which ones did you buy? My £7.99 antennae/cables arrived but not fitted mine yet. May fit mine this evening (or Saturday latest).

Add a photo showing a wider view. Just looking at your photo above I'd normally have the spring washer teeth against the case.

Will post a photo of mine & comment once done.

Fitted mine all solid, some photos (don't look exactly same as yours)

The gold threaded length has a flat to line up with the flat in the casing holes.

I used the spilt washer on the inside and star washer on the outside and tightened with spanner (i.e. washer on each side touching case). Looks like you have both star & split washer on outside.

Bottom photo shows WiFi signal max strength connected at full speed (866mpbs), NUC upstairs & my ASUS router downstairs.

20190508_180422.jpg
20190508_180453.jpg
20190508_181817.jpg
20190508_182350.jpg
20190508_182357.jpg
20190508_183134.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, @psikey, I finally installed it as you did and tightened it but used a pliers as I had no spanners that fit. It is much tighter and more secure than before. Many thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom