Integration of digital hifi and surround system

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have an all-digital setup for listening to music (i.e. using a DAC with in-built pre-amp and no analogue inputs). I also watch films on the setup with a projector and am considering a centre speaker to clear up dialogue. My intention is something like this:

Blu-ray HDMI out -> HDMI splitter ->
1 Projector wireless box optical out -> stereo hifi DAC -> power amp -> front speakers
2 AV receiver -> centre speaker, possibly a sub

I appreciate that this setup could be considered blasphemous for some, and that there will be a slight mismatch in the speaker sound! However, does anyone see any issues with whether it will work and whether the sound quality will be high. In particular, I don't know much about HDMI splitters, but I have read it will default to the lowest common denominator (1080p and 48khz probably), which is fine.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Matt

You'll only have Stereo and you will lose the .1 lfe channel track

You'll only have Stereo and you will lose the .1 lfe channel track

Please can you explain why you feel it would only be in stereo? I assume the surround channels would be transmitted to the AV receiver and I therefore could use the centre speaker from there (and sub, if I decided to).

For a start, the audio EDIDs for the PJ and the AV receiver are going to be substantially different. You probably wouldn't get multichannel audio output by most disc players if the player prioritises the PJ's audio capabilities. No multichannel output, no discrete centre channel.

Secondly, no AV receiver can be configured without a pair of front stereo speakers.

Why not simply convey the source to the AV receiver and connect the power amp to the AV receiver? This way the setup is integrated and not 2 seperate setups. You'd need an AV receiver that has left and right channel pre outs.

Last edited:
For a satart, the audio EDIDs for the PJ and the AV receiver are going to be substantially different. You probably wouldn't get multichannel audio output by most disc players if the player prioritises the PJ's audio capabilities. No multichannel output, no discrete centre channel.
Thanks for the thoughts on it. Yes, the differing EDIDs is the main thing I was concerned about. I know I can get the front out signal already (by going to a projector wireless box with optical audio out). If the differing EDIDs did end up being a problem, I wonder if something like this would fix it: Doctor HDMI solves problems related to HDMI such as: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

SEcondly, no AV receiver can be configured without a pair of front stereo speakers.
I assume I can just not hook up anything to the front speaker outs. Do you see this causing a problem?

Why not simply convey the source to the AV receiver and connect the power amp to the AV receiver? THis way the setup is integrated and not 2 seperate setups. You'd need an AV receiver that has left and right channel pre outs.
I use a stereo DAC with in-built pre-amp (and no analogue inputs) unfortunately. And I can't find any AV receivers that simultaneously play sound and output digital audio. Swapping around cables between watching films and listening to music is an option but a little inconvenient.

For @rccarguy :

IMG_20200505_173314094.jpg

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
That plan concerns me a lot. I see what you are trying to do, but I think it will be very unlikely that everything will be in sync by the time the audio hits the speakers.

I suggest using an AVR for films, and then a speaker switch to switch the front main speakers away from the AVR and into your stereo amp (where your DAC would be connected) for listening to music.

Alternatively, get an AVR with pre-outs and connect them to your stereo amp. It depends on whether you want to buy a cheap AVR with no pre-outs and a speaker switch, or a more expensive AVR with pre-outs?

As suggested, it would be very unlikely that the audio being portrayed by both the AV receiver and the stereo setup would be in sync.

Even setups that portray the same source via the same AVR in different zones have issues with syncronisation.

I'd be more inclined to suggest you try integrate the processing as opposed to seperating it out between different devices.

That is a non typical method. Do this

Source--->AVR pre out for L/R----> Stereo amp----->speakers
and
BD optical out ---->Stereo DAC- Stereo amp.

1st is for movies, multi channel BD
2nd for music, CD etc

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom