Integrating Velodyne DD10 with a 2 Channel system

bass007

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a Velodyne DD10 Subwoofer which I would like to connect to my 2 Channel system. I use a Musical Fidelity M8 Pre so the pre outs have already been used to go into the power amp, I have purchased 2 Audioquest RCA Splitters to enable me to take the signal from my pre( not sure if this will impede the sound quality , now I also know there are speaker level inputs also at the back of the sub, in the Velodyne manual/online setup video they say the preferred method of connection is Low level RCA so not sure which is better?

Second question; at which point should I crossover the sub? does this depend on the front L & R speakers? in my case these are the ART Deco 8 Loudspeaker (Frequency Response 31Hz - 20 kHz ±3dB)

I'd use the speaker level inputs in this case. The low level RCA input is generally better/easier if your Amp/Processor has a dedicated subwoofer output.

As for the crossover setting I'd connect up the EQ mic etc and run through the various options to see what results you get. It's very easy to make a change in the setup menu then hit TEST to see the results on-screen.

I would also have a good play around with the subsonic filters, slopes and phase as I found they can have a surprising effect on the subs in room response. A lower subsonic filter isn't necessarily the best setting.

I'd start with the crossover around 50hz and then go up to 80hz then back down to around 35-40hz and see how things look on the OSD and how it sounds on each setting.

Hey Dr, If I use the Speaker level I would use speaker cable from subwwot to Power amp or main L & R Speakers?

Been a long time since I did it in one of my systems but I wired them to the L & R speaker terminals on the Amp.

I do not have any spare speaker cable at present to try this method, however I have tried using the RCA's to the preamp and ran the EQ, and on some music it sounds ok, I am having problems making it blend into the mains without drawing attention to itself, I will have to spend some more time on the weekend.

I'd spend time getting the crossover, phase etc sorted and then manually EQ it as the last step. As the DD10 is quite small it's worth plonking it in your main listening position and then going around the room with the mic whilst it's doing a frequency sweep. That'll help no end in finding the best position for it within the confines of your furniture etc.

Trying to do the manual eq I'm a bit confused connection wise, I have a pair of RCA's connected from the left and right EQ outputs on the velodyne to a stereo input on my amp, micro phone connected, when I run the tone sweep the manual says to mute the subwoofer raise the volume on my amp to reach 76db and one that's done it says to unmute the sub the use the volume to match the level of the sub to my speakers, but when I unmute the sub there is no sound coming from the sub at all?? I'm puzzled please help, I must be doing something wrong

Ok so I figured it out I just needed to crank up the volume on my preamp 2 hours later progress [emoji38] wow is an understatement!! I was almost going to give up I will carry on tweaking on the weekend but overall I'm happy just a bit of patience needed

Patience (and experimentation) is key as you can easily spend hours tweaking the setup and EQ. The results you can achieve are more than worth it though. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom