integrating stereo amp into AVR + Power amp setup

Zarf2007

Hi All.

wonder if anyone can help. I have a 5.1.2 Atmos setup with KEF R900 front left and right floor standing speakers, KEF R2C Centre, pair of LS50s as rears and a pair KEF Q50a as front Dolby Atmos LR. I have a Denon x4700 which only manages the the Atmos L&R. I use the pre-outs to connect to an Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3 power amp.

I have the LCR and Rears connected to the Emotive XPA-5 Gen 3 power amp. I am very happy with this setup for HT, my only other thing on the HT side would be to add another pair of KEF Q50s or R50 if I can source then so that the setup is 5.1.4.

Anyway, as per other Denon owners I noted the musical ability of the Denon is lacking and wanted to add a stereo amp with HT bypass. I will also be adding a bluesound Node 2i streamer as a source for this.

I therefore ordered the Rega Elicit R stereo amp but am struggling to understand how to connect this into my system for the L&R speakers.

Would I do the following:

Denon L&R Pre-outs -> Rega -> Emotiva L&R -> speakers

also does anyone know specifically on the Rega which ports I would use, would using a power amp in there as well be a problem?

thanks in advance

Zarf2007

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 39241

You would connect the front left and right pre-outs of the AVR into the 'direct input' connection of the Rega Elicit R. You could then connect the front left and right speakers to the Rega.

Alternatively, if you want to use the Rega as a pre-amp only, you would connect the pre-amp outputs of the Rega into the inputs of the Emotiva power amp, and connect the speakers to the Emotiva.

Zarf2007

You would connect the front left and right pre-outs of the AVR into the 'direct input' connection of the Rega Elicit R. You could then connect the front left and right speakers to the Rega.

Alternatively, if you want to use the Rega as a pre-amp only, you would connect the pre-amp outputs of the Rega into the inputs of the Emotiva power amp, and connect the speakers to the Emotiva.

thanks, if I use it as a pre-amp only, I will still get all of the benefits of the Rega processing the signal which will then be boosted by the power amp correct? I guess I am asking if I lose some sound quality going into the emotiva rather than directly to the speakers if they were connected to the Rega.

D

Deleted member 39241

thanks, if I use it as a pre-amp only, I will still get all of the benefits of the Rega processing the signal which will then be boosted by the power amp correct? I guess I am asking if I lose some sound quality going into the emotiva rather than directly to the speakers if they were connected to the Rega.
You will indeed get the benefits by using the Rega as a pre-amp only. I did have a quick glance at the manual and it seems to say that the pre-out voltage of the Rega is 0.76 volts, whereas the input sensitivity of the Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 3 is 1.5 volts, which is quite a difference.

You might want to try using the power amps on the Rega vs the power amps on the Emotiva, and see which way sounds and works best for you.

Zarf2007

You will indeed get the benefits by using the Rega as a pre-amp only. I did have a quick glance at the manual and it seems to say that the pre-out voltage of the Rega is 0.76 volts, whereas the input sensitivity of the Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 3 is 1.5 volts, which is quite a difference.

You might want to try using the power amps on the Rega vs the power amps on the Emotiva, and see which way sounds and works best for you.

thanks, will definitely try both ways. I guess I’m just keen to keep the centre on the same power amp as the LRs for HT.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom