Integrating music sub and movie sub on same system.

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by galewis1, Mar 7, 2013.

1. galewis1

galewis1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Some advice needed please!

I have an old school SVS CS Ultra for movie sub duties. This is the passive type that just has basic speaker terminals and is powered by a seperate power amp which in turn is downstream of my AVR conneted via an LFE coax lead. I'm really happy with the movie performance and don't wish to change it.

However, the sub doesn't integrate well when listening to music. I prefer to listen in pure-direct mode (Yamaha 3010) and this means no sub action. If I move to a bass managed listening mode (e.g. 2 channel + sub), I get a bad intergration between the SVS and my Kef XQ3's.

I'm therefore thinking of adding a dedicated music sub (something like a secondhand Rel Strata perhaps) to attach to the 3010 via high level connection. Am I right in saying that if I then listen to music in pure-direct mode, the AVR crossover settings (all Small + SUB) are ignored and therefore both the KEF's and the music sub will get the full signal?

Assuming this is all ok, I have one further question. I'm running my XQ3's bi-amped (using the 3010's 2nd zone). Can anyone tell me which I should connect to (HF or LF). My thinking is that it doesn't matter?

Cheers

Gary

2. Tom @ PSA

Tom @ PSA
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +854
    Does your AVR/preamp allow a 60hz highpass for speakers? If so, try that with the Ultra. Also, try inverting the phase on the ultra. (at the binding posts). Be sure the amp powering it is off of course. Double check the calibration levels too. Film material is often more forgiving of poor phase/bass level settings.

You are correct---afaik all "pure direct" type modes are 2 channel only, no bass management.

Tom V.