Integrating movies + music

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Grr Argh, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Grr Argh

Grr Argh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi All,

As my sig says I currently have a 5.1 setup using Kef 2005.3 + Onkyo 606. I love the sound for movies and games but music is lacking. I knew this before I bought my kit and am happy with my decision, but as I will soon have saved up enough to be considering augmenting my system I pose a question to you, av forumites.

Is it possible to get a couple of speakers that will perform well for music but also be useable to make my system 7.1 without messing up my soundstage?

Or should I be looking to keep such speakers completely separate and stick with 5.1?

I would prefer the first option but I understand it may be unrealistic. Any comments would be appreciated.

2. Georgie Burgess

Georgie Burgess
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A cheap solution would be to buy a DAC (Cambridge Audio DACMagic gets rave reviews here on avforums) and stick it between your dvd/bluray player and your amp. Should work a treat for your music.

3. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    It is perfectly possible to improve things for music, imo.
    You just need better (bigger) speakers at the front.
    You don't say, but if you could go to floorstanders, that would be the best move obviously. You may get an issue with the centre speaker though, so you may end up upgrading that too.
    Any speakers that are decent with music will automatically be fine with movies.
    The existing fronts can then be used for rear surrounds, but you'd have to try it as 7.1 is really only recommended for larger rooms.
    Some people say they use 7.1 in a smaller room no problem though and it may well work.

4. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    You could do far worse than add these:

KEF IQ5-MAP at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

Though as above, they may somewhat overwhelm the centre for movies!

A better choice may be:

KEF IQ1-WAL at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

or

KEF IQ3-WAL at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

If you did feel the centre was lacking...

KEF IQ2-WAL at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

You can easily relocate your existing speakers to make 7.1... if you upgraded the centre there is always a market for individual ones to sell on too!

5. Grr Argh

Grr Argh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks for the replies.

I suspected as much. I'm not keen to replace the front centre and the current atmospheric sound I am getting is fantastic so I'll just deal with less than perfect music for the time being I suppose :)