• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Integrating Home Cinema into your main living room

Cantona07

Standard Member
Hello everyone, first post in here and a bit of a newbie in general so please be gentle!

My problem is one that Im sure is quite common to many here, Ive had a look around and in the galleries but any additional ideas are most welcome.

I currently have a house with two sitting rooms so we have our media equipment nicely split so that there is a reasonable tv and sky box in one room which is more of a conventional "pretty" living room, while the other sitting room has a smaller tv but houses my projector, screen and sound etc. In the next few months though everything changes!!

Firstly my wife is expecting our first child and we will be moving into another house. This house has the advantage of being mortgage free but is in need of modernising somewhat (this may include replastering the living room, new insulation and heating). With the arrival of the little one the days of two sitting rooms may be over! We are looking to see if its possible to integrate everything into one room while maintaining the "pretty" feel of the sitting room. In other words my wife doesn't want cables trailing everywhere and a room dominated by giant speakers and AV boxes everywhere (Playstation, Skybox, Amp, Sub etc). Ultimately I have a barn and a loft, one of which will be eventually converted I feel but that is not on the cards just yet.

Basically what Im after is any advice, links to pics or anything at all that's concerned with having "discrete" home cinema within a conventional living room. I don't have a huge budget as impending child dictates but we will be renovating the house anyway so things like in wall speakers and hidden cables could be done easily (I think?) as part of other work. I would like to have the projector, screen and surround sound whilst also perhaps keeping at the relevant boxes hidden away in a cupboard or unit so that we have a happy compromise between keeping the kit (or buying new more appropriate kit) and the it not overpowering the room.

Anyone else done this and any advice, links, pics etc are most welcome.

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
IMG_7230.jpg
A Dolby Atmos 5.4.4 cinema system in a living room.

Cantona07

Standard Member
Cracking, thats along the lines of what I'm talking about. No unsightly wires and everything hidden away rather than on display. Can you tell me whats been done here? I assume with replastering the wires are easily hidden?

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
We built a false front wall, pillars and pelmet to install 9 x MK Sound IW950 in wall Loudspeakers and a pair of MK Sound IW28S in wall Subwoofers. The cabinet houses a pair of MK Sound X10 Subwoofers. All equipment is installed in an AV rack in the hallway. All controlled by a Control4 system which also controls whole house lighting, audio and visual for 3 x Zones inc garden, security cameras and heating.

No chasing of cables. They run in the false walls etc. The majority of our installations involve chasing all speaker cables, Cat6, HDMI etc into walls and cutting out walls for in wall/ceiling speakers.
IMG_8677.jpg
IMG_8840.jpg
IMG_8560.jpg

Cantona07

Standard Member
I love it! Just shows what can be done. He is my question and I appreciate the sensitive nature of this......Given that walls would be potentially getting insulated and replastered anyway and given that I would have to buy some new equipment regardless, does it add a vast cost onto the project to do stuff like hiding cables and putting speakers in the walls?

My concern is that Im maybe being a bit ambitious with what I want to do at a time when I should be focused on nappies and cots and things of that nature! :D

Were it not for the fact that the house will be getting renovated to a certain extent in the next year I probably wouldn't be thinking about this but because it is I feel it is a good opportunity to kill two birds with one stone.

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
It depends on the fabric of the house.

It is well worth doing. It's a messy job but if you are re plastering then I would say go for it 100%.

Hard to judge cost without personally seeing the room. Add approx £1k to your refurb.

Don't buy expensive cables. Biggest con in the industry.

Cantona07

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply, I do have another quick question if I may. I see whats been done with the actual projector itself to hide it away when not in use. Now obviously that looks brilliant and is incredibly unobtrusive in the room but I suspect its also quite pricey. Ive tried looking for the cost of just the mechanism itself and it was expensive but as I'm not sure what it is I'm searching for it was a bit of a struggle. Would that be the most complex/expensive aspect of the refurb? Again I know specifics are impossible without seeing the rooms etc, but speaking in general terms given that work is being carried out anyway? It can always be placed on a shelf or hidden in some other way but that would be a distant second place in terms of aesthetics and generally id rather pay for a better job within reason!

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The PJ lift is a Future Automation PD1 @£2,700 supplied.

You will also need to factor in control for the lift and screen if it's a drop down screen. We install Control4 where possible as a touch of a button fires all equipment up, drops the PJ and screen and sets the lighting.

Cantona07

Standard Member
Thats seriously impressive but probably out of my budget at the moment if Im being honest although not actually having a budget makes it hard to put a figure on anything really!

derekhansen

I am planning to do a HT build in the near future. My solution to house the projector will be a pelmet/bulkhead on the wall opposite to the screen. Aesthetically this is not exactly discrete but it will look 'integrated' to the room design and IMO a lot better looking than a projector hanging from a pole.

Harkon321

I built an extended pelmet for my projector. Looked at lifts as well, but couldn't stretch the budget. pictures in my link. Love the SeriouslyCinema install. Seen it before but always makes me smile. lol

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I built an extended pelmet for my projector. Looked at lifts as well, but couldn't stretch the budget. pictures in my link. Love the SeriouslyCinema install. Seen it before but always makes me smile. lol

Many thanks

We are now in the process of installing a pair of MK Sound IW28S in wall subwoofers to allow for an Atmos 5.4.4 system as well as re cabling the entire property for Control4 Automation and some additional work in the room to improve system performance.
IMG_9285.jpg

Room will available for demonstrations in about 3 weeks time.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Thats seriously impressive but probably out of my budget at the moment if Im being honest although not actually having a budget makes it hard to put a figure on anything really!

Sometimes it's a matter of a bit of lateral thinking too: I couldn't afford a drop down custom sized acoustically transparent screen, so instead I used exactly the same material (for the same end result) on a fixed screen. My TV moves up and down on a £300 lift, which is still way cheaper than the £3k screen I was looking at.

I am planning to do a HT build in the near future. My solution to house the projector will be a pelmet/bulkhead on the wall opposite to the screen. Aesthetically this is not exactly discrete but it will look 'integrated' to the room design and IMO a lot better looking than a projector hanging from a pole.

I built a pelmet right round my room to hide my Atmos speakers in and my projector. I've made a little door to hide it away when not in use, though I confess the room still isn't quite finished due to some family matters/work/apathy with finishing it completely having taken over.

Rear corner.jpg

Cantona07

Standard Member
Sometimes it's a matter of a bit of lateral thinking too: I couldn't afford a drop down custom sized acoustically transparent screen, so instead I used exactly the same material (for the same end result) on a fixed screen. My TV moves up and down on a £300 lift, which is still way cheaper than the £3k screen I was looking at.

I built a pelmet right round my room to hide my Atmos speakers in and my projector. I've made a little door to hide it away when not in use, though I confess the room still isn't quite finished due to some family matters/work/apathy with finishing it completely having taken over.

View attachment 883465

Could I be incredibly cheeky and maybe ask for a couple of close up photos of what you've done there, looks excellent and a decent solution.

Harkon321

Click on his username and then find his build thread. Loads of pics.

Peeto

probably too late :) but one idea, when projection screen looks horrible in my living room, but after small tweak... nobody know, and I mean nobody who walk in to my house... that I have projection screen at my living room. Looks very elegant and suits other furniture with shiny black color. It costs me like nothing... max 80 EUR and result is night and day.
vgphW6Um7p.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom