1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

integrated or separated

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by marcoeser, Apr 20, 2001.

1. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hello all, I'd like some advise to which way to upgrade my system:
    Sony 735 DVD
    Yamaha DSP A592
    Kef Speakers: Q55 main, Q95C, Q15 rears
    Rel Strata III
    Sony 32" wide screen
    Sony VHS

I feel the sound needs definition, it's a bit soft, I think its lacking in power, anyway that's the best way I can explain it.

I can't decide which road to go down, a new integrated amp like the yamaha ax2 or denon a10se or down the separates way (feels more sensible), Rotel's 985mkII or 1075 power amp and later on their 985 processor. By then I'll probably need a speaker upgrade.

Then there's the question a 5 channel amp or 3 separate 2 channel amps.
    :rolleyes:

2. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, well. I would certainly go for the sound processing upgrade first!

I can't recommend more wholely the Denon AVC-A1SE as a superb processor and amplifier for the money. I was listening to a Mark Knopfler album tonight in the amp's Pure Direct mode and was amazed at the transparency of the multilayered sound. I have done a little sound mixing and I could almost imagine turning the pan pots to create the stereo image I was listening to!

As for surround sound - ask anyone who's heard it. There isn't any better for the money!

3. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's another idea...
    get the pre amp/processor like the Rotel 985 or Cyrus AV5 first, that will take away the work from the sony's onboard decoder, and still use my old yamaha as the amp.
    But, will I be getting a better result that way or by going for the power amps first and continue to use the dvd's on board decoder?

4. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll definitely be thinking about a separate processor/power-amplification setup as my next serious upgrade, albeit a good while off yet!

I think I much prefer the potential for upgrading separate dedicated-job-specific items rather than whole integrated units.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutely, take the procesor/power option as frankly it offers sensible up-grade potential along with all the sonic advantages over the integrated choice. Always have and always will chose this path, it cost's more on the outset but less in the long run and the benefit's sonically speak for themselves, as mighty as the Denon's and Yammy's are (and i mean that with all reverance) they are the one box alternative and i think that were you to speak to any bespoke dealer on the subject, if absolute sound quality is your main concern then pretty much all would advise you along the processor/power route. Good luck

Regards

SteveEX

6. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Please correct me if i am wrong, but are you saying you can use the internal amplifiers in for example my Sony strdb940 with an external processor eg tag mclaren and then add an extenal amp at a later stage.

I had always assumed that you could do it the other way round, ie external power amp with integrated processor and then add the seperate processor, but didnt realise that this could be possible. How would you connect it up? :confused:

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry i was not advising you as to which piece to upgrade first rather to take the pro/power road rather than another intergrated (if funds allow), but since you ask yes could via the sonys 5.1 (which would limit you to 5 rather than 6/7.1) input (i presume the Sony has one, most do). I am not sure that this will be the better option than connecting a new power amp (Tag, Bryston, the larger Rotel's etc) to the Sony's pre-out's. As i have no long term experience with the 940 i do not have an opinion on the weakest link (decode or amp stages) of the unit. I am sure experienced users here will offer their thoughts. Either way you can connect a processor or an amp to the Sony if it has a 5.1 input and pre-outs for all channels. I must say that connecting the TAG processor to a Sony 940 will certainly create some interest here.

Regards

SteveEX

8. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Steve

Thanks for the reply, the Sony does have a 5.1 input so the tools are there, i think this is an interesting option.

I had been considering for some time that a processor and seperate power amp would be the next logical step but funding in stages has a higher WAF. :)

9. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you everyone, I'm now convinced this is the way to. I just have to decide what upgrade to do first, depending on budget vs value.

I'll go to my local hifi shop to arrange a demo. I have in mind the Rotel Rb985mkII (the 1075 hasn't arrived here in Greece yet) and 985 processor, or the TAG combo, or even a combination of the two, but I think the TAG is out of my league but the upgradability is very tempting. I'll let you know what I find out.

Does anyone suggest any other units I should take a look at?

Thanks alot, Marc :D

10. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I recently upgraded to the Rotel RB985 MKII + RCP976 processor from my intergrated and was really amazed by the diference - although I did not audition them against a £1000 intergrated amp I feel I have achieved the best sound / value mix possible.

I use Tannoy M3's for front and surround with the MXC centre (+ rel Sub) so don't worry to much about speakers as I think your KEF's will sound great.