Integrated Fridge Freezer playing up. Easy fix ?

John

Reaction score
Discovered tonight that the fridge is toasty warm (20ish degrees) and the freezer is just below freezing . buggered in all probability
But is it a simple fix or am I better off cutting my losses, considering its a few days before chrimbo ?
Its an electrolux EN28600

ta

On ours (bosch) the cold air comes into the fridge from the freezer through a vent. If this gets blocked (happened to us) then the fridge is just a box.

sorry , should have been #plazing .

:D

Washing machine engineer that visited our house recently told me all integrated appliances were notoriously difficult to fix and expensive to boot. Maybe his personal view I can't really comment other than this.

Washing machine engineer that visited our house recently told me all integrated appliances were notoriously difficult to fix and expensive to boot. Maybe his personal view I can't really comment other than this.

I think that would be a general statement purely because they are built in so the initial access takes longer and therefore more expensive. Fridge freezers getting warm in both compartments could be the thermostat as mentioned and hopefully the accessible bits from the front (if there are any) or the compressor, or a leak somewhere and no gas. Anything in the refrigeration cycle bits is likely to cost a bit since they tend to be sealed systems and one compressor does all. Don't know the OPs circumstances of course but I would personally be seeking a new unit that can be delivered asap.........

Do you have a garage/utility? If so, how about buying a second (cheaper) one for there.

If you can get the original one fixed then having a second fridge will always be useful at this time of year and, if not, then at least you are not left completely without over Christmas

As IMBW says, these frost free fridge freezers rely on a fan to distribute the freezing air to the freezer and cold air to the fridge above. Over time the cooling system can ice up which will reduce efficiency and ultimately the growing "glacier" can stop the fan spinning. If you can identify where the fan is, then remove the panel covering it (It looks like it may be in the freezer compartment) and see if it's turning when you crank up the thermostat and whether there is ice blocking the free flow of air anywhere.

When my integrated fridge/freezer went ga-ga under warranty the repairer told us we had to take the damn thing out of the cupboard ready for them to work on. In my case, with the same symptoms as your's the fan had to be replaced and it also needed a new compressor.

Then I had to put the unit back in. Right arse ache. Problem was the repair went bang after the warranty expired which led to all kinds of fun. Thankfully AEG played fair and I landed up with a brand new replacement fully fitted.

New time the integrated fridge/freezer goes bang I'll be taking the cupboard out and replacing with a free standing unit.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom