Integrated Freeview & No Freeview Signal

K

kikzen

Hello!

I'm looking to get a new TV, and I've seen a couple I like. Some of them have freeview decoders built in (although I have a freeview box anyway).

The problem is that I'll be moving back to uni in a few months, and you cant get freeview reception there!

Obviously, with a normal TV + external box, I can just put the aerial thru the TV and ill get the analogue signal, but if the digital tuner is built in and I cant get digital signal then, well, what will happen!? Will the standard channels just work via analogue? Or will it just not work?

Danke!

Richard46

Welcome
As far as I know there are no IDTVs yet on the market that do not have an analogue tuner as well as the digital one.
So no problem.
Richard

Tony_T

I have a similar problem in that my TV is connected to an aerial socket on the wall which is wired up to the local cable service.

My TV picked up all the local analogue services plus a couple of cable channels but no freeview...

So, basically your TV will just be like any other analogue TV until you can get Freeview reception....

JayCee

Distinguished Member
As far as I know there are no IDTVs yet on the market that do not have an analogue tuner as well as the digital one.

There are a few LCD TVs now on the market with a Freeview tuner only.
Toshiba are the most common LCD models I've come across without an Analogue tuner...this confuses the owners when they connect their VCRs without scart or AV leads and try to tune via RF :D

K

kikzen

Welcome
So no problem.
Richard

awesome! i thought this would be the case, but thought i should check!!
thanks everyone :thumbsup:

Richard46

awesome! i thought this would be the case, but thought i should check!!
thanks everyone :thumbsup:

Check JayCee's post above yours looks like I was wrong; :eek: you will need to check with your retailer that your new TV has an analogue tuner.

Richard

Tony_T

You do not get Freeview through Cable TV Operators.

Yup, I realise that the cable feed is analogue only (possibly bad wording in my last post); I did buy an indoor DVB aerial when I got the TV, but that didn't pick up anything so it went back. I can't do much else right now as I'm renting a ground floor flat. I'll get a 'proper' aerial installed when I move.

brian s

Distinguished Member
There are a few LCD TVs now on the market with a Freeview tuner only.
Toshiba are the most common LCD models I've come across without an Analogue tuner...this confuses the owners when they connect their VCRs without scart or AV leads and try to tune via RF :D

Daft. With some areas still not getting digital and the final analogue switchoff not until 2012. What are they about?

Bri

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom