1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Integrated AV amp with digital outputs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gregf, Apr 1, 2005.

1. gregf

gregf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi guys,

My first post here so I better introduce myself first of all. I originate from Greece but I have been living in the UK for the last 20 years, 15 in Sussex. I work for an electronics automatic test equipment manufacturer for the last 17 years and I lead the design and development team consisting of 12 electronic and software design engineers. Interests include music (of course), hifi, AV, PCs and anything to do with technology.

Although I have just registered today, I have been following this forum and its previous version for almost three years.

I am currently in the process of putting together a new high end music system and I would like to combine it with AV. Does an integrated AV amp or processor exist with digital main outputs? My thinking is to use the AV amp for the centre speaker and the rears and use its digital outputs into a DAC input of the music system. In this way the music will not be compromised. Max budget £800.

Thanks,

GregF.

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    pretty much all av recievers/amps have an optical out now, not sure about some older ones, i know my previous one didn't but my new one (£250 so well within your budget) does and the other one i tried also did. i think you'd be better off asking which current amps don't have an optical out!

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    by the way, hello and welcome to the forums!

4. gregf

gregf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the welcome and quick response Chedmaster.

What stream will the optical out of the receiver carry? Is it just the front speakers stereo?

5. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The optical out on almost all receivers and amps will only carry the selected optical input through, not the decoded signals.

6. gregf

gregf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    That's not good since I would like to drive the centre and rears from the integrated AV and the fronts via the DAC coupled directly to the hifi power amp.

7. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    most amps also have a 5.1/6.1/7.1 pre-out (phono outputs), you could (like many people have) connect the power amp to the front L and R speakers on this, but i think the reciever/amp has a slight effect on the sound? i have never tried it but it is an option for you!

8. gregf

gregf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Chedmaster,

I think you are right, the AV amp will have significant (negative) effect on the music.

9. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i can see only one way out of this. get a cambridge audio azur 540r and spend the rest of the money for the power amps etc on a plasma screen :thumbsup:

10. reservoir51

reservoir51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would have to agree that if you're not going to use your AV system's stereo output, then there's no point in routing stereo signals through it, whether it's a digital stream or analogue. You could connect your DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-Audio player directly to the DAC and from there to the music system (I take it music system refers to a pre-amp/power amp combination?). Most DVD players these days have two digital outputs, so you could connect one to the DAC and the other to the AV amp. For films, you could connect the front pre-outs of your AV amp (i.e. analogue) to the power-amp (separate channel from the pre-amp obviously) - that way, your music system won't be compromised, and you could watch movies using the power amp to drive the analogue stereo signals.

reservoir51

11. gregf

gregf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Reservoir51,

the problem is that there will be no preamp at all. The power amp will be driven directly from the DAC (with integrated volume control), therefore no analogue inputs, only digital inputs will be available.

12. reservoir51

reservoir51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It still shouldn't be a problem. Make two connections : one from your DVD/CD player to the DAC via optical/coaxial and an analogue connection from the DAC to the power amp; and the other digital connection from the DVD/CD player to the AV amp, and connect analogue front pre-outs from the AV amp to the power amp. Most power amps will have two switchable inputs; even if it only has one, you can always swap the connections between AV amp and DAC for movies and music respectively.

reservoir51

13. gregf

gregf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the advice, the power amp has two sets of inputs, one XLR and one RCA. I was thinking in similar lines to what you suggested, use the XLR inputs for the DAC and the RCA for the AV amp. I could build a little box to enable auto switching between the two controlled from the trigger o/p of the AV amp, the input to the power amp will default to the DAC but when the AV amp is on, the input will switch to the RCA and therefore to the AV amp.