Integrated AV Amp or Stereo Amp? and the best way to connect?

davidbrown303

Standard Member
Reaction score
First off, Hi everyone, this is my first post in this forum and the site looks great btw....

Building myself an "Entertainment system" in the bedroom just recently hung my new Samsung 32" LCD on the wall and bought myself some nice 100w tangent phase 4 speakers which look and sound great, 2 x bookshelf and 1 x centre speaker, (no subwoofer as yet) now comes the head scratching part.....

I want to be able to run sky tv, and my newly bought PC (running Vista's windows media centre for my tunes), the DVD player is already a part of the PC so i didnt bother buying an additional DVD player for my movies, obviously i want to run all this through my LCD tv and in turn through the newly bought speakers.....Is it best to buy a AV receiver or a stereo amplifier? and what would be the best way to link all these components together to get the best results from them? For most of you guys this may sound like a stupid noobie question but i really havent the first idea on how to go on from here....cheers fellas ...Dave

Hi and welcome to the forums :D

I don't know if this is the right place for your thread, but I will tell you how I have mine.

I have my media centre PC connected via coax digital to an AV reciever and via DVI to my plasme, so I would think that it's probably best to get yourself an entry level AV reciever for a couple of hundred ££'s then connect up via the digital out to digital in.

Could you link what speakers you have for now?

welcome to the forums:

Has your pc got any video outputs ?

Buying an av/reciever will make things a little neater as you will probably only need 1 input to your tv and depending on which one you buy you will have spare inputs for future additions i.e games consoles etc.

hope this helps

Thx fellaz, yes my pc has got video outputs, i had a Yamaha AV in mind http://www.froogle.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=YAMA-DSPAX759SE have to find out whether the spec is suitable for what i am after achieving, planning on using what speakers i have got for now and added to the system later.....Also bought a Gyration air mouse, what an amazing tool WELL CHUFFED!!! whizzing it around the air like a light-sabre and nearly had the missus eye clean out...whoops!

Hi Dave, welcome to the forums. I have moved this thread to integrateds for you as its not really DIY. You should hopefully get some good responses from this section.

the main difference between the two is that the AV amp will give you surround sound, if that is what you are after, where as the stereo amp will only give you two channel. Also is your preference for movies or music?

Hi inzaman and sorry for the previous post position, i am after both music and movie quality sound bud, via dvd and stored mp3's from the pc's harddrive, so looking for perhaps a AV receiver that will achieve this, so are there good all rounder receivers on the market?

I'm no expert (look at my post count), but I shouldn't imagine it is gonna make much difference when listening to mp3's as they generally have a lot of information cropped out of them, they are a lossy format, so the quality of them isn't as good.

If its mainly mp3's you are listening to (when listening to music), then I think its the sound quality of the DVD's that should take preference. Just my opinion mind, and I could be wrong.

Hey guys, just registered today dont really know where i should ask this question i thought this thread was appropriate, I've got a denon avr1603, nice amp, its got a front channel a/b speaker selection so i can have four speakers on the front channel, i was wondering if i wanted to crank it up real loud could i bridge these speaker outputs so i can run two speakers at higher power then four speakers at the normal power? Or would it be dangerous for the amp? Would it blow possibly?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom