Question Integrated amplifier suggestion

S3s220390

Novice Member
Hello

I want to change my amplifier.i currently own a harman kardon integrated amplifier Hk980 rated at 2x80w and i was looking for a replacement with marantz pm6006 or harman kardon hk3770 both are the same price.
Marantz has a lower power output but great reviews on sound quality and Harman kardon has higher output and Bluetooth and other connections not really interested in them but in sound quality not quantity
Thanks

Fred Smith

Marantz PM6006 or Yamaha A-S501 for higher power output. Own both so biased.:D

gibbsy

What speakers are you driving? The Marantz is only 45 watts into 8 ohms. Superb amp for the money but may struggle to drive some speakers efficiently.

AVBeginner

I have the Marantz and it struggles with my speakers (although they are notoriously difficult to drive so arguably mis-matched in the first place).
Let us know what speakers you have. The sensitivity is the important factor I believe.

Mij29

Cambridge cxa60 is a lovely, warm amp, rated at 60watts per channel. I loved mine, but greed got the better of me and I upgraded to a cxa80, and I now wish I hadn't

S3s220390

Novice Member
I have the Marantz and it struggles with my speakers (although they are notoriously difficult to drive so arguably mis-matched in the first place).
Let us know what speakers you have. The sensitivity is the important factor I believe.
I have a pair of taga harmony 3way tower speakers rated at 180 rms on 6ohms ,89db sensitivity

Last edited:

muljao

Marantz PM6006 or Yamaha A-S501 for higher power output. Own both so biased.:D
Which do you prefer, just curious, I own the marantz

dogfonos

i currently own a harman kardon integrated amplifier Hk980 rated at 2x80w and i was looking for a replacement with marantz pm6006 or harman kardon hk3770
sound quality not quantity
Unless you own particularly difficult to drive (or massively inefficient) speakers - or listen in an aircraft hanger-sized space, then I would expect a solid 80W amp like the HK980 to have sufficient power. And wasn't this amp/receiver well reviewed back in the day?

Opinions differ - and I haven't heard any of these amps/receivers - but I suspect that the audible differences between quality amps in a similar price range, such as the one you own and those you mention, won't be significant. I would expect the Marantz pm6006 and Harman Kardon hk3770 to sound similar, though not necessarily identical, to your current HK and therefore not (or not much of) an upgrade in audio quality.

For a clear improvement in audio quality, expect to pay considerably more than your current budget (which appears to be around the £300 mark?).

Fred Smith

Which do you prefer, just curious, I own the marantz
As they are on two different set-ups difficult to say. But the Marantz is on my primary system and in use daily and the Yamaha the secondary system more occasional use.

Fred Smith

S3s220390

Novice Member
Unless you own particularly difficult to drive (or massively inefficient) speakers - or listen in an aircraft hanger-sized space, then I would expect a solid 80W amp like the HK980 to have sufficient power. And wasn't this amp/receiver well reviewed back in the day?

Opinions differ - and I haven't heard any of these amps/receivers - but I suspect that the audible differences between quality amps in a similar price range, such as the one you own and those you mention, won't be significant. I would expect the Marantz pm6006 and Harman Kardon hk3770 to sound similar, though not necessarily identical, to your current HK and therefore not (or not much of) an upgrade in audio quality.

For a clear improvement in audio quality, expect to pay considerably more than your current budget (which appears to be around the £300 mark?).
The Hk980 did had, good, but not great reviews back in 2009 when i got it also it had the same price tag ,but i am just thinking to downgrade the power level that is on paper to a new generation amp.

AVBeginner

I have no experience with your particular speakers, and other more experienced may correct me, but at 89dB sensitivity I would say they’re not particularly easy to drive. The Marantz may be a little underpowered.
But do as others have suggested; try to find a way of auditioning both and trust your ears!

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
So, the price tag for the Amp is about £300? Confirm?

Can you give us a direct statement of you working budget?

How is the current system letting you down? What do you need that it is not giving you?

Confirm that you do not need a lot of gadget and gizmos - Bluetooth, Network Streaming, DAC, etc...?

The Marantz PM6006-UK is about £300 (just under) and a good amp, but it has 45w/ch. I believe the PM6006-UK also has a DAC.

https://petertyson.co.uk/marantz-pm6006-uk-edition-integrated-amplifier

The Yamaha AS501 is about £270, has 85w/ch and a DAC, plus Phono-In and Sub-out.

Yamaha A-S501

Yamaha AS501 Amplifier with DAC - Superfi

With Speaker with 89db Sensitivity, I don't see the Marantz as being under powered. During my party days, I used a 45w/ch Pioneer and it worked fine. Though I was throwing house parties not RAVES.

For some reason, at PeterTyson, the Yamaha AS801 (£549) with 32bit DAC is actually less than the Yamaha AS701 (£599) with a standard DAC -

Yamaha A-S701

Yamaha A-S801 Integrated Amplifier

Well above your implied budget, but at least worth knowing about.

Other place have slightly different prices -

https://www.superfi.co.uk/p-15860-yamaha-as701-amplifier-with-dac.aspx

https://www.superfi.co.uk/p-19612-yamaha-a-s801-amplifier.aspx

Both amps are 100w/ch.

If money is exceptionally tight, you probably won't find a better bargain than this -

Yamaha AS301 Integrated w/DAC, 60w/ch - £189 -

https://petertyson.co.uk/yamaha-a-s301-integrated-amplifier

Everyone is walking a fine line between Quality and Price. Some want top quality and are willing to make sacrifices on other areas to get it. Others want best value, and in making that choice there are slight compromises in other areas.

Given that you have Harman Kardon, that implies you are looking for Best Value, as H-K offer a LOT of amp for modest money. But ultimately that is a decision only you can make on the purchase of a new Amp.

In basic Integrated Amps, the Marantz PM6006-UK and the Yamaha AS501 are probably the best amps to consider to consider in the roughly £300 price range. To make the decision, you simply have to sort out your priorities.

Steve/bluewizard

S3s220390

Novice Member
So, the price tag for the Amp is about £300? Confirm?

Can you give us a direct statement of you working budget?

How is the current system letting you down? What do you need that it is not giving you?

Confirm that you do not need a lot of gadget and gizmos - Bluetooth, Network Streaming, DAC, etc...?

The Marantz PM6006-UK is about £300 (just under) and a good amp, but it has 45w/ch. I believe the PM6006-UK also has a DAC.

Marantz PM6006 UK Edition Integrated Amplifier

The Yamaha AS501 is about £270, has 85w/ch and a DAC, plus Phono-In and Sub-out.

Yamaha A-S501

Yamaha AS501 Amplifier with DAC - Superfi

With Speaker with 89db Sensitivity, I don't see the Marantz as being under powered. During my party days, I used a 45w/ch Pioneer and it worked fine. Though I was throwing house parties not RAVES.

For some reason, at PeterTyson, the Yamaha AS801 (£549) with 32bit DAC is actually less than the Yamaha AS701 (£599) with a standard DAC -

Yamaha A-S701

Yamaha A-S801 Integrated Amplifier

Well above your implied budget, but at least worth knowing about.

Other place have slightly different prices -

Yamaha AS701 Amplifier with DAC - Superfi

Yamaha A-S801 Amplifier - Superfi

Both amps are 100w/ch.

If money is exceptionally tight, you probably won't find a better bargain than this -

Yamaha AS301 Integrated w/DAC, 60w/ch - £189 -

Yamaha A-S301

Everyone is walking a fine line between Quality and Price. Some want top quality and are willing to make sacrifices on other areas to get it. Others want best value, and in making that choice there are slight compromises in other areas.

Given that you have Harman Kardon, that implies you are looking for Best Value, as H-K offer a LOT of amp for modest money. But ultimately that is a decision only you can make on the purchase of a new Amp.

In basic Integrated Amps, the Marantz PM6006-UK and the Yamaha AS501 are probably the best amps to consider to consider in the roughly £300 price range. To make the decision, you simply have to sort out your priorities.

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks for the reply, my buget is around400€ Same i had for the hk 980 years ago thats why i had the pm6006 in mind, also the uk vers and the normal model have a incorporated dac.Hk gives a modern deisgn a lot of inputs and more numbers for the price but i am willing to test marantz for the sacrifice of watts maybe gaining a little bit more SQ due to new tehnologies .

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply, my buget is around400€ Same i had for the hk 980 years ago thats why i had the pm6006 in mind, also the uk vers and the normal model have a incorporated dac.Hk gives a modern deisgn a lot of inputs and more numbers for the price but i am willing to test marantz for the sacrifice of watts maybe gaining a little bit more SQ due to new tehnologies .
It would only make sense to hear both Marantz and Yamaha. I would concede that the Marantz is better based on Build Quality, but the Yamaha are good amps too.

Only you ears know for sure which is best.

Steve/bluewizard

SOUNDVISION

Save up and get a Rega Elex R beats them all, you won't need to upgrade to another stereo after that, you're be in Musical Heaven

S3s220390

Novice Member
It would only make sense to hear both Marantz and Yamaha. I would concede that the Marantz is better based on Build Quality, but the Yamaha are good amps too.

Only you ears know for sure which is best.

Hello ,just bought the marantz and I couldn’t be more excited! It sounds excellent. As a comparison with the HK980 ,the Marantz has way more detail , crystal clarity and definitely more value in sound for the price paid.
And as for the 45W per chanel(Marantz)vs 80W that the Harman has, definitely it has to do with de comercial side. The Marantz pushes with ease the speakers with precision and clarity.I have set it up on the optical input via the incorporated DAC.
Definitely worth the money and i’m glad that I didn’t follow the advice on looking for other pair of speakers.They aren’t the point of improvement!
Best regards!

Steve/bluewizard

tvdavid

I bought a Hk980 just a few weeks back in my town from facebook its a great amp and I am not changing any time soon. for digital I also use a yamaha rx-v2065 again this is also very good for stereo even though its an AV amp.

dannnielll

Hello

I want to change my amplifier.i currently own a harman kardon integrated amplifier Hk980 rated at 2x80w and i was looking for a replacement with marantz pm6006 or harman kardon hk3770 both are the same price.
Marantz has a lower power output but great reviews on sound quality and Harman kardon has higher output and Bluetooth and other connections not really interested in them but in sound quality not quantity
Thanks

dannnielll

What is wrong with the HK980?. If it has the same amplifier circuits as has my HK AVR340 ,not a lot. , it is as powerful as the ones you are looking towards and the HKs are extremely conservative in their power ratings. Musical ... It is the music which is supposed to supply that not the amplifier. It is supposed to be cleanly transducing it. Power bandwidth?. The HK has that
Signal to noise?. No problems there.
My suggestion is about getting a DAC ,perhaps with streaming to feed into it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mola Mola debuts Kula integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett