Integrated Amplifier or Stereo Preamp for KRK Monitor Speakers

coleccionistadl

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I got a pair of monitor speakers KRK (RP5-G4). I connected it to a Bluray player (Oppo 203) to play flac, cds (SACD, WAV) stereo, I use an XLR to RCA converted cable for the connection. However, I found that the quality is not good enough. How can I improve it?. A friend told me that I must buy a DAC Topping with XLR Output and RCA input for my Bluray Player. Some suggestions, please
(My budget to improve my system is $600)

What specifically is wrong with the sound?

Also, what size of room, what is your listening distance? With those monitors these things can have a vastly more serious impact than the subtleties of one decent DAC vs another.

The Oppo 203 has a perfect good DAC in it. You shouldnt get a sound change (except maybe level) in adapting RCA to XLR unless something is seriously wrong with the cable and/or adapter.

If you bought the monitors recently, it could well be you simply dont like the somewhat in-yr-face sound from many KRK monitors.

I still have a pair of mid range KRK monitors (+sub) from a decade or more ago - they are great for audio mix work (where their in-your-face presentation is useful), but can be a bit intense at near field distance to simply listen to music and can get a bit lost in a large room when several meters away from them.

Have you made sure you’ve set the Oppo to downmix to stereo output from the left and right analogue outputs?

What specifically is wrong with the sound?

Also, what size of room, what is your listening distance? With those monitors these things can have a vastly more serious impact than the subtleties of one decent DAC vs another.

The Oppo 203 has a perfect good DAC in it. You shouldnt get a sound change (except maybe level) in adapting RCA to XLR unless something is seriously wrong with the cable and/or adapter.

If you bought the monitors recently, it could well be you simply dont like the somewhat in-yr-face sound from many KRK monitors.

I still have a pair of mid range KRK monitors (+sub) from a decade or more ago - they are great for audio mix work (where their in-your-face presentation is useful), but can be a bit intense at near field distance to simply listen to music and can get a bit lost in a large room when several meters away from them.
It was a problem of configuration, now is working. By the way, I realized that there is a slight sound (like a motor) when I set high volume in the KRK. I don't know how to explain that I tried to record a video, some noise :( . It is noticeable when I listening jazz

That was the problem. Now is set to stereo, I think I was mixing 5.1 to stereo. Thanks
Very easily overlooked. The Oppo is a first class dac/preamp. I imagine it’s the best the KRKs will sound.

It was a problem of configuration, now is working. By the way, I realized that there is a slight sound (like a motor) when I set high volume in the KRK. I don't know how to explain that I tried to record a video, some noise :( . It is noticeable when I listening jazz

I’d not use anything further than half way on the KRKs volume pot. Possibly not even that high.

You’ll get a quieter background by using the preamp in the Oppo close to its max; set it at around 75%.

Then set the volume on the 5s to where it is just too loud for normal listening and back it off a bit until it’s about right, then use the Oppo for increasing and decreasing the volume thereafter.

I make this short video (Attached). If you can listen every 4 seconds there is a noise. How can I avoid it? The sound in the KRK is set to 0db, and the Oppo is 35
This is the video link of the noise:

Does it doe it without anything attached to the speakers. If it does, try plugging the speaker into a different power socket, maybe upstairs or at least in another room. This will tell you if it is a mains loop issues e.g. a fridge or or their appliance interfering, or it is internal to the speaker or in the source.

Does it doe it without anything attached to the speakers. If it does, try plugging the speaker into a different power socket, maybe upstairs or at least in another room. This will tell you if it is a mains loop issues e.g. a fridge or or their appliance interfering, or it is internal to the speaker or in the source.
It happens only when I turn on the Oppo player (the noise comes through the analog cables). I tried it in another outlet same noise. Also I tried with other speakers (PreSonus) and other analog cables same issue.

That is a bizarre sound.

Have you made sure that the mains lead from the Oppo is secure, that is all the contacts, especially earth (ground), are clean and tight?

Bit desperate I know...

Following that a mains filter/suppressor is all I can suggest.

One for the fridge, any electrical heater, cooker... anything that may inject noise into the system.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom