Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Integrated Amp Suggestions

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Bails, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Bails

Bails

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am wondering what integrated amp with av pass through I should get.

I have a Marantz sr-9300 receiver but would like to add a separate two channel amp to get top-notch stereo sound (not that the Marantz is any slouch).

I know Arcam produces some fine amps. Would they provide an improvement over the Marantz? What about Krell? SimAudio? Any other suggestions?

Also, to what extent do the amps in the integrated amp need to sound similar to those in the receiver? For multichannel music and movies, in particular, I imagine the amps need to be similar.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

2. nthornhill

nthornhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You do indeed need similar sound to ensure that the surround soundfield for multichannel stuff remains matched.

For this reason, the logical place to start looking would be the various Marantz monoblocks which you can add onto the pre-outs of your SR9300 front channels. However, you then remain using the preamp section of the SR9300 for all music, which is not your intention.

Of course, the issue depends a lot on what your speakers and source are : There is little point in spending a lot of effort matching all amplification channels if you don't have identical speakers on all channels, of course.