1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Integrated Amp or AV Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by milpai, Mar 30, 2005.

1. milpai

milpai
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    First of all - Thank You AVForums. Visiting this forum is a real eye opener. I have finally taken the plung into seperates and have decided to go for Quad 21L speakers - based on listening to 12L - but having a thing for floorstanders. I am yet to listen to them.
    Initially I wanted to go for an integrated amp - Creek, Roksan Kandy III, MF, Arcam, Rotel or NAD. But then I came across a test in Hi-FiChoice which concluded that today's AV Receivers sometimes are better than Integrated Amps. The Sony STR-D8790 bettered the Creek A50iR and Roksan Kandy. What do you guys think on this?
    I am looking at the following AV amps:
    Denon AVR-3805
    Marantz SR8500
    NAD T763
    I would listen to music (90%) and movies (10%) and would upgrade to Home-Theater after say a year.
    Will appreciate any inputs regarding the AV Receivers VS Integrated Amp - has anyone listened to these AV amps and compared to the integrated amps in the $400-$1000 range?
    Thanks
    Milind

2. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    While my own personal view is that AV amps are getting better all the time in stereo ability, on a $ for $ or £ for £ basis, you would need to spend twice as much on an AV amp to get comparable quality in a dedicated integrated amp.

I am not familiar with the Sony (is it the DB790). I haven’t read the article, and hence will reserve my opinion until I have. But I am doubtful that in a blind test, the Sony is preferred. Has price been factored into the decision?

3. milpai

milpai
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Having gone down the route of a seperate AV & stereo system with the initial stereo amp being equivilent in RRP to the AVR I would also have to say I am sceptical.

Using the 2 amps with the same source, connections & speakers the stereo amp was leagues better - I am sure though that there will be circumstances where peoples individual tastes do favour an AVR over a similarly priced stereo amp in the same way that I tested a £20,000 CD player and thought the sound was horrible.

5. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Unfortunately the whole article is not included in the link to form a balanced view. Not surprising at it is a Rotel site.

And the test music was restricted to SACD & DVD-A :rolleyes:

What I did find suprising was that the Sony could drive the speakers in the test. B&W N802's :eek: :eek: :eek:

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Out of your list, the SR8500 is probably the most musical, it also recently won a group test in Home Cinema magazine against the Pioneer AX5Ai, Rotel RSX-1056 and Yamaha RXV2500.

The Denon is a good movie amp, but if music is your preference, then I'd opt for the SR8500, it also gives you the opportunity to bi-amp those lovely Quad 21L's :D

Here is a link to that group test: http://www.marantz.com/new/index.cf...=eu&bus=hf&review_id=439&series=comp&type=ALL

7. milpai

milpai
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Harry, Astaroth and Kazman for your inputs.
    I am more inclined to music - Norah Jones, Rebecca Pidgeon, Diana Krall, etc. But I do not have budget for 2 seperate amps. So the Marantz may be a good choice. I plan to get either the Marantz or Denon Universal player in the $600 range. The Denon has the HDMI/DVI output, which the Marantz does not have. But again, the Marantz is more musical.
    Kazman, I know this is not the right forum, but can you throw some light on the Quad 21Ls please?
    :hiya:

8. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    With your music choice, the Quad and Marantz combo will blow you away, I have the Norah Jones CD, it is stunning with the SR7500 and Quad 21L's.

The Quad 21L's are unforgiving though, they will show up badly produced CD's. Give them good quality source material and feed, and they will sing so well, it is almost like the singers and orchestra are in your living room, they are holographic too, so you can even almost picture where each orchestra member is. Superb speakers for the money. Don't keep them too close to a wall, the rear port will increase the bass if you do, need at least a 20cm gap away from the wall to work at their best.

9. milpai

milpai
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Kazman. I called up my dealer again and he said that the gentelman who took the 21Ls for demos actually bought them. So I have to wait another 1-2 weeks when my dealer gets the next pair.
    But I trust my ears and this forum. And I fell in luv with Quad 12Ls of all the speakers I auditioned. So 21Ls will also be good.
    I read the review on the Marantz site. That amp has got more than enough features for me. I appreciate your info Kazman. :thumbsup:

10. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Adding a Cyrus integrated amp to my system for stereo usage has been the biggest upgrade that I've made to my system. I can't believe I hadn't bought something similar before I bought my AV amp rather than the other way around. If you want stereo music (CD, vinyl etc) then please buy a stereo integrated amp. My Denon 3802 just doesn't have anything on my cyrus.

11. milpai

milpai
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After breaking much head on deciding the speakers, I have ordered the Quad 21L and I will be getting them this weekend.
    And I had decided to go for an integrated instead of AV - as I listen to 2 channel music most of the time. The biggest problem is that I wanted to get a NAD 352. But when I auditioned the NAD against a Arcam 65+, I found it to be a bit boomy :( . The Arcam had a controlled bass. (I prefer quality over quantity). Now I am seriously thinking of auditioning the Rotel 02 (which I really was not interested earlier).
    Has anyone compared these 3 amps before? Any suggestion is welcome. I am also looking at used amps at audiogon.com.
    Thanks

12. 5ergo

5ergo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will soon audition some budget Primare stereo amps on my Dynos42 and ill report here results.

13. Blindman

Blindman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the Arcam AVR 300 driving Quad 21Ls - if its musicality you're after, it has it in in spades. It also sounds brilliant for movies when used with my other speakers. I would have thought the Arcam AVR 250 would be worth a listen too. Cheers :) !

14. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I think he is after a stereo amp.

If it is a multi channel musical amp, then you can't go wrong with Arcam, Rotel, NAD or Marantz, the new Yamahas are also strong with music.

The Quad 21L speakers are a bit power hungry though, I currently have them biamped using a Rotel 985 5 channel power amp, the Marantz SR7500 is powering the centre and the rears, and the Rotel left to only power the 21L front pair.

15. Blindman

Blindman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know he is after a stereo amp, but he said he might upgrade to home theatre after a yeat, so maybe the Arcam might save him the trouble - just a thought. Thanks for your advice on speakers in the past, Kazman, the 21Ls are fantastic :thumbsup: .

16. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Pleasure to help matey :) The AVR300 is indeed a lurrrrvly amp, and those Quads are awesome :D

17. milpai

milpai
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. I went to a dealer carrying Arcam and NAD. I was hoping that the C352 would be the one I would be impressed. Instead the Arcam Div 65+ seems to catch my eye (ear). I was hoping that I would pick the Quads from my dealer and go to the amp dealer, but unfortunately they have not come in :( . He told me to come back again this Wednesday.
    Will definetly post once I get my system home and set it up :)

18. milpai

milpai
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    It finally happened...my Quad 21Ls are here :clap: I am using the NAD C352 to power it and a DVD player as the source (don't even ask the brand). I will buy a decent CD player in a month.

But the point is...even with this combination, I was zapped by the clarity of these babies. The "wife" is "dazzeled" by performance...and so the "cost" of the hi-fi is justified. I have ordered some Nordost cables for bi-wiring.

The Quad 21Ls are simply phenomenal value for the money I parted with :thumbsup: I am amazed evertime I listen to them.....

Regards

Milind