1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Integrated amp (ie Pioneer 2011) contra separates at same price level

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Calle, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Calle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:

I'm about to design a little home cinema / music system, of course with a limited amount of dough. For some unknown reason I like Pioneer design/sound/handling, so my initial idea was the DV-656 together with the VSX-D2011 receiver, dunno the 'international' price for these things but I'd guess my price limit is around $2000.

I'd really like to have as good and unaffected stereo sound as possible, surround sound is cool but there the hifi demands are much lower. A tuner is necessary, though. So how should I achieve this?

I will have DACs all over the place, there is Bass Management (I have B&W CM2 as front speakers so I might be needing a subwoofer even for stereo?), digital and analog connections, coax contra optical, etc etc. I am now completely confused. :)

I guess my simple-to-answer questions would be:

1. Would stereo sound (ie playing CD's) benefit from upgrading my DVD to a 757 instead?

2. Is there a better combination of processor/preamp/power amp that would sound better in stereo, still be useful in surround, easy to handle, and in the same price range (approx, I could settle for used stuff too but not too old - I'm not going to use the DD-EX formats right now but who knows, in the future perhaps)?

I'd be most grateful for any clever suggestions. I guess my main concern is that with the above combo, I am actually paying for twice as many DACs that I really need - both the ones in the amp and the ones in the DVD.