Integrated amp for Wharfedale EVO 4.2+sub?

qzavas

I’m trying to decide on what integrated amp to buy for my Wharfedale EVO 4.2 (+sub, so sub out is preferred. Most likely it’s going to be BK P12-300SB-PR).

This is the room (~26 sq. meters = ~280 sq. foot). Note – stairway to 2nd floor is open.

Use case: music/TV/movies. Electronic (bassy and rhythmic) music is the biggest priority, refinement and detail is a not that important. Music will often be played at above average to high loudness.

Sources: TV and laptop (Bluetooth for phone connection is welcome, but not necessary)

Budget: £400-£1000 (don’t want to neither overpay, nor cheap out)

This is my first audio system, therefore I’ve been researching reviews of both my particular speakers and also various amplifiers to come up with some options.

The EVO 4.2 reviews do contradict each other to some extent with their amplifier recommendations (which probably comes down to everyone preferring different sound in general), but hopefully you can recommend me something that suits the aforementioned needs.

Here are some options that I’ve gathered:

Marantz PM6007 (£400)

IOTAVX SA3 (£400)

Yamaha A-S501 (£500)

Audiolab 6000A (£650)

Cambridge Audio CXA61 (£750)

Marantz PM7000N (£850)

Musical Fidelity M2si + DAC (£700 + ?)

Cambridge Audio CXA81 (£1000)

Rega Elex-R (£1050)

Thank you in advance for you answers!

eastsoutheast

My tuppence worth.

The challenge with a question like this is most people have their own preference and bias whereas what’s most important is getting an amp that sounds right for you, your taste and your partnering equipment.

My son recently added the Yamaha s701 to his system and I was very impressed with the sound quality. It effortlessly drives a pair of Monitor Audio gold reference 20’s which are quite large speakers. He also uses a BK sub (XXLS400 as do I).

Would definitely recommend a sub no matter what speakers you have/get.

My advice would be to find a dealer that will let you take your speakers to test with a range of amps. Richer Sounds sell a lot of amps in your range as would Sevenoaks Sound and Vision, Audio T and likely most decent dealers. If you only manage to shortlist a couple of amps you may then be able to arrange a home demo.

Appreciate the Wharfdales are bookshelf speakers but you should ensure they are placed on appropriate quality stands and you invest time into placement.

Good luck

qzavas

My tuppence worth.

The challenge with a question like this is most people have their own preference and bias whereas what’s most important is getting an amp that sounds right for you, your taste and your partnering equipment.

My son recently added the Yamaha s701 to his system and I was very impressed with the sound quality. It effortlessly drives a pair of Monitor Audio gold reference 20’s which are quite large speakers. He also uses a BK sub (XXLS400 as do I).

Would definitely recommend a sub no matter what speakers you have/get.

My advice would be to find a dealer that will let you take your speakers to test with a range of amps. Richer Sounds sell a lot of amps in your range as would Sevenoaks Sound and Vision, Audio T and likely most decent dealers. If you only manage to shortlist a couple of amps you may then be able to arrange a home demo.

Appreciate the Wharfdales are bookshelf speakers but you should ensure they are placed on appropriate quality stands and you invest time into placement.

Good luck
Thank you good sir, your points are absolutely valid. The problem is that I don't have the opportunity to take the speakers to a HiFi shop. It's a bit of a weird situation where my speakers are at my home in a different country (gift) and I'm in the UK for a couple more months with work stuff. In addition, audio equipment is absurdly overpriced in my country therefore I'm going to buy the amp+sub in the UK and send it home.

I'm not too worried, though, because I'm no audiophile (yet) and this is my first Hi(Mid)Fi system so I'm probably not even capable of having an "I don't like how this amp sounds" moment as long as it's not ear-tearingly bright.

As for the personal preference of sound - I'm rather sensitive to high frequencies and hate overexpressed brightness, it irritates my ear somewhat easily. I mentioned that majority of my music is electronic. This ranges from surgical techno and minimal to instrument and vocals infused house and liquid drum`n`bass, but pretty much all of them require tight, well controlled low frequencies and responsiveness. I read EVOs are not ideal for that, but it's a gift so I have to compensate some of that using amp+sub.

Given this information, are there any particular amps you'd recommend?

gibbsy

The Marantz and Musical Fidelity are considered to be on the 'warm' side and are safe bets for a non fatiguing listening that won't pose problems with the higher frequencies. Rega is more neutral and certainly more exciting yet has great control over the highs and is very quick on bass response. I've not heard the Audiolab and I've never been a fan of CA.

It's personal choice but I'd pick the Rega as the best out of that bunch providing you can live with a pure analogue amp.

Khankat

You don't actually need a sub out connection on an amp to be able to connect a sub. Instead, the sub can be connected via the loudspeaker terminals on the amp. I see you are considering a BK sub; very nice too - I have one myself. Worth noting, is BK include cables with their subs, including one ready to connect to the speaker terminals. They even include a diagram to assist you with connection.

FLKehT

The Marantz (...) are considered to be on the 'warm' side and are safe bets for a non fatiguing listening that won't pose problems with the higher frequencies.
My experience with Marantz PM8006 doesn't match what internet seems to claim about Marantz "house sound". With certain speakers it can be fatiguing and harsh. So it all depends.

gibbsy

With certain speakers it can be fatiguing and harsh.
No matter how warm speakers or amps are considered to be there is still the biggest influence on making both sound overwhelmingly harsh and fatiguing and that's the room that they are in.

FRFT

I've never heard it, so hopefully someone else can give an opinion, but I like the look of the nad d3045, especially for someone new to hifi.

It has a sub out, Bluetooth, and HDMI so it's a very versatile little amp

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom