Insurance

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jonna, Feb 25, 2014.

1. jonna

jonna
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,600
    I have received my central heating cover renewal and British Gas home care 200 comes in at £18 a month, not a lot of money and I feel as though I need cover because it's the main heat source and the only hot water source we have.
    But I'm trying to cut down on a few bills! so I thought I would ring my house insurance provider and they have quoted me £35 for a years home emergency cover .
    Seems like a good deal, any opinions ?.

2. andrew24

andrew24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    We took out home emergency cover though are insurance and when we had to claim for a gas pipe leaking under the concrete floor, they would only pay out the first £500 and we had to pay the rest so maybe worth reading into the t&c to see if any thing similar, the good thing was it does no affect your no claims claiming on emergency cover.

3. DarenD

DarenD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    Take the money and stick it in the bank each month. Also keep the number of a reputable heating engineer available (looking for a plumber when your desperate means you tend to pay over the odds). Insurance companies like to play on the doom and gloom and OMG!! your heating system will fail every other week. They don't, and as already mentioned when they do the first thing they look to do is get out of paying the full amount. A well maintained heating system is designed to be dam near bullet proof. I have a Worcester in my tenants house and a Potterton Baxi in my own and both are serviced every year for around £35-50.

4. craig1912

craig1912

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    This- we pay £60a year for a service (inc gas fire) and have had two problems in 17 years that cost £160 in total to fix. Always used the same guy and on the two times he's fixed it he's managed to call on the same day.

5. booyaka

booyaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,585
    agree - put £18 a month away (£216 a year), this will cover an annual service (around £80) and leave you with £130 a year towards any future costs of call outs etc.

I've needed one call out in 5 years to my boiler and it cost me £20.

I wouldn't pay £18 a month for that sort of cover.

6. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,687
    Have to agree with the above, keep it in the bank ie top up your savings then the one time you need somebody in 10 years as in my case there will be plenty in there to cover.

7. jonna

jonna
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,600
    Thanks all, I think I'll open a separate bank account for 'things that might go wrong' :). If I leave it in my own account it will end up being spent.