1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insurance

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Stimpy, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Stimpy

Stimpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody had to make a claim on a stolen plasma??

The question is my policy says like for like, it does not mention
    at what cost point.

I.e. my LGmz42pz14 was stolen (cost to me 3.5K two years ago)
    Will they just replace it with the current lowest cost LG plasma (i.e. the 44 model or px11 if I'm lucky) or will they replace with a model in the same price range, i.e. around 3.5K ???

Cheers

2. Tesla

Tesla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I think this will vary from policy to policy and you will need to speak to your insurance provider.

In one sense like for like could be picture quality related in another it could be purchase cost related.

Some companies assess the current value of your goods and give you that amount.

Let us know what happens though as it's quite an interesting issue.

3. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I would say they will go for an equal spec item as they know that prices drop over time. Either way you should to end up with a better panel.

4. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I used to work for a well known insurance company,while never encountering a plasma screen calim I did encounter ones for tvs and PCs and would imagine the same logic would apply here.
    The idea of insurance is to put you back in "the same" position you were before the claim ie no worse of better than you were before.
    If you claimed for a £3k plasma that was 2 yrs old for examples sake and were given a £3k plasma new now you would be better than you were before.
    They would most probally give you one of the same spec as your own or as close as possible.
    That said check you are indeed covered some (not all) policies have a single article limit of £xxx
    they also apply a "average clause" to it this means if the single article limit is £1500 and claim is £2000 you are 25% underinsured and your claim would be paid on this basis ie £1500(max claim)-25%(average clause) = £1125

5. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I am insured with insure.co.uk and had ny Pio 433MXe separately listed. I have a replacement as new policy and includes accidental damage. The screen was listed initially at £3.8k which rose to £4.1k due to index linking.

A month ago I broke it and the company has agreed to replace with the latest model - 43MXE1 - at the quote supplied by Joe Fernand. The fact that the latest model is cheaper than the original obviously had a lot to do with it, but they were originally going to replace it with a brand new 434HDE until I pointed out the difference and I did not want the HDE (the engineer who inspected it simply reported it as a Pioneer 43" plasma and everybody assumed it was the HDE).

Nevertheless their willingness to replace with a brand new 434 HDE showed that they would honour the new for old policy.

I'm currently awaiting my shiny new MXE1.

BTW, where do broken old plasmas go?

Also for sale PDA5002 video board.

It has taken a few weeks to sort it all, but slowness apart all the players in this game have played fair and honest. At last an insurance policy that does what it says on the tin.

And in case you're wondering it was a genuine accident - heavy ladder toppled over and hit the edge of the screen (wall hung) and cracked the glass in several places.

6. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Three months ago I dropped an old laptop (worth about 100 quid, I should know I only bought it second hand 6 months earlier).
    Even though I told my insurance company that the laptop was second hand and rather old they sent me a brand new Dell latitude laptop worth around 800 quid.
    Not bad eh?
    As for where old broken plasmas go? That's a deep one, hmmmm....plasma heaven maybe?

7. Stimpy

Stimpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plasma was seperatly listed as being 3.5k

8. Stimpy

Stimpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: