Insurance replacement - Sony XG vs Sony XF 55”

batty11

Novice Member
If anyone can help/advise

I did the nasty with my tv, pressed slightly with my head on the tv whilst fitting a sound bar, tiny press, tv now US.

Insurance are saying the XG9505 which for me has been great, is no longer available. Bought for £611 at Costco in November. Big benefit of this tv has been the way it seems to hide the reflections, my previous tv was a pain with this but the XG just seems to deal with them so well.

They are offering the value of an XF9005 which, looking at things in my limited knowledge , seems a similar but somewhat inferior TV.

What I kind of need to know is, what would the equivalent be and how do I make this clear to the insurance.

Or maybe an XF9005 is equivalent or better, strikes me G comes after F so clearly better.

Offer is 649 cash or 699 currys vouchers.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:

vickster

Distinguished Member
Ask for the XH9505 if the policy is new for old.
The 9005 is indeed inferior and the XF is a year older than the model being replaced...older for old sounds a poor offer. The 55 is £999 at Curry’s if you have to add money
You could take the cash and see if something comes up on the Sony refurb site

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
F/G is the year it was released, so the XF90 is a 2018 model (which continued into 2019) while the XG95 was launched in 2019.

X just means it's a 4K TV, it's the first two numbers which denote the position in the range of that year.

XF90 and XG95 were contemporaries in 2019 and the XF90 was the model below (or possibly two models below, there was also an XG90 in 49").

Equivalent range position would obviously be another 95 model, like the 2020 XH95. Equivalent performance is a bit trickier as different years choose different trade-offs. Maybe an XH95, maybe an XH95, you'd have to look into it

Is your insurance policy definitely set up to give you that sort of replacement or just sufficient cash to buy an XG95 in working condition?

batty11

Novice Member
F/G is the year it was released, so the XF90 is a 2018 model (which continued into 2019) while the XG95 was launched in 2019.

X just means it's a 4K TV, it's the first two numbers which denote the position in the range of that year.

XF90 and XG95 were contemporaries in 2019 and the XF90 was the model below (or possibly two models below, there was also an XG90 in 49").

Equivalent range position would obviously be another 95 model, like the 2020 XH95. Equivalent performance is a bit trickier as different years choose different trade-offs. Maybe an XH95, maybe an XH95, you'd have to look into it

Is your insurance policy definitely set up to give you that sort of replacement or just sufficient cash to buy an XG95 in working conditioning is
What screen size?
The 9005 is indeed inferior and the XF is a year older than the model being replaced...older for old sounds a poor offer
Hi, thanks for response it is a 55”
What screen size?
The 9005 is indeed inferior and the XF is a year older than the model being replaced...older for old sounds a poor offer. The 49” is £899 at Curry’s if you have to add money, the 55 is £999
You could take the cash and see if something comes up on the Sony refurb site

batty11

Novice Member
55” - it seems they are just looking for similar specs and finding the cheapest then offering cash. Never really been in this situation before.

vickster

Distinguished Member
55” - it seems they are just looking for similar specs and finding the cheapest then offering cash. Never really been in this situation before.
Tell them that you want the equivalent new for old if that’s what the policy covers (read the Ts & Cs)...that’s the £999 XH (missed the screen size in your title). Is there an excess on the policy, are they taking that off the payout (which would be normal)

vickster

Distinguished Member
Hi. The excess is 100, got to come off that price. I’ll dig in the policy details.
So they actually give you £549 or £599?

batty11

Novice Member
That’s right. The policy does say new for old.

Well, called them back, spoke to the nicest person. Sending a new XH9505 on Monday. Shows you, catch the right person on the right day and all is good, but any combination of wrong person or wrong day and it’s a struggle.

Here’s hoping the XH is as good as the XG.

Anybody want a spares & repairs 55XG9505

Thank you for the help! Much appreciated.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Good stuff. The XH9595 is about the best LCD there is this year
Stick the old one in the Classifieds, you never know

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom