• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Insurance replacement PJ & TV

Nickffc

Unfortunately due to a power spike my beloved Theme scene H78 projector & Panasonic TH50PZ80BA TV have died.... :(
i know these were old models but both gave a great picture and was very expensive when new...especially the PJ
i have claimed on my home insurance and they have come back with suggestions for a cash settlement on “similar” products of "similar" specifications….!

TV - Panasonic Viera TX-50A300B (£399) my TV was £1200 when new

Bottom of the Panasonic range and over 12 months old , just popped to Curry's and the picture quality is shocking….!

Projector - Optoma W310 (£319) My PJ was £3500 when new

cant really comment has i’ve not seen one but…. it has no lens shift, power zoom or power focus just for starters…and looks abit like an office type PJ...?

if anyone has an opinion on items that would be more like for like that would be much appreciated as i worried that i’m being fobbed off with the cheapest and poor quality replacements….

i know tech has come on a very long way and has become so much cheaper but it's mainly the qualitiy i'm worried about....

and to top it off they want an additional £100 per year premium because of my claim… first one i’ve made BTW…

many thanks

Nick

Nickffc

like for like i belive.... new for old....

mbmapit

I would tell them to stick it if they offered me those replacements o_O

If they offer like for like tell them you need a PJ with lens shift etc. Come up with a counter offer after doing some research.

iamsludge

I agree, if like for like you want something that is actually as good.

If it was me I'd be saying the HD78 when bought was their flagship product so you want the current like for like flagship product. New flagship for old flagship.

Last edited:

jfinnie

Distinguished Member
New flagship for old flagship.

I think you need to be arguing on actual features; the above would seem a feeble argument as what a manufacturer's product lineup looked like and now looks like is pretty moot. It is about you getting something with the same or better performance, not their top of the range.

So pick out the low noise, power zoom, power focus, lens shift as the key features (which they are).

Nickffc

many thanks all..... i've been looking at projectorshop24 website which has a great filter section that i can select all these features and even just inputting that my old H78 ran at 23dB cuts out a huge amount of units and showing the cheapest unit at £2500 (JVC DLA-X500R BE)with the next one at £5999 (JVC DLA-X500R BE) i have no idea what their responce will be....!!!!

cypher007

as others have said tell them to poke it. I had the same problem a few years ago. I had a sony full hd 1080i hdd camcorder that cost me about £600 as was on offer. they wanted to fob me off with some sh*tty bottom end cam. I argued even though it was newer the spec still didn't match the original. in the end they backed down and coughed up for a panny x900, in jessops vouchers. they did say I could have the sony flagship that was about £1100, but I wasn't keen on it as it wasn't as good, so stupidly I said no I want the x900, forgetting they were giving me vouchers, doh.

anyway don't let them slide out of this, you want a comparable item not an inferior one. I generally discard any discounts I made when I bought the original and work on the rrp of the original unit.

Nickffc

so an evening of reshearch... bit of a headache but made a little easier with your help... thanks

this is what i sent:

Hi ±±±±±

thanks for the email

i have had a look at your suggested replacements for the items that were damaged beyond repair and feel that these are not appropriate for the following reasons.

TV

i have taken the time to visit my local Curry's Store and had the TV expert in this store demonstrate this TV to me and these are the findings of this.

This TV is the bottom of the Panasonic range and my TV was not.
It is over 12 months old and currently old stock
The picture quality is extremely poor compared to other LED TV’s in the store and even worse compared to my Plasma TV. the grading of the picture was really bad and even worse when viewed from the side which my plasma TV did not.
The sound quality is terrible from the 16 watt speakers, MyTV has 20 watt speakers. i was told that this was common of the lower range Panasonic TV’s and even at low volume speech was distorted.
It has only 2 HDMI ports and my TV had 3 which i require for the equipment i wish to connect to it.

for these reasons i would not accept this TV as a replacment.

On this information and researching the curry website as you have done the next appropriate TV with the required specification and quality of picture would be the PANASONIC VIERA TX-50CX680B

Projector

As you had mentioned, you have very little experience with projectors so have found some literature for this particular projector which i hope will help you understand and realise the quality of this piece of equipment.

http://static1.projectorpoint.co.uk...rs/themescene/h78/themescene_h78-brochure.pdf

I have researched the suggested replacement projector Optoma W310 and have found it to be unsuitable replacement for the following reasons.

This is not a home cinema projector and is "Designed for meeting rooms and classrooms” as described on the projector point website you have used to find a replacement projector.

The Aspect ratio is 16:10. My projector is 16:9 widescreen
It has no lens shift.
It has no positive keystone
it has no motorised zoom or focus.
the noise level of this unit in eco (dim) mode is 29dB (very noisy.)
It has no 12v trigger outputs. i require these to operate an automatic screen

i have found an alternative website similar to projector point but gives a better option of features to select an appropriate like for like projector.

i have added filters already to the below link which are some but not all key features which i would require on any replacement projector.

Format: 16:9
Outputs: 12v_trigger
Operating noise: 21 dB - 23 dB
Lens Shift vertical
Vertical keystone correction
horizontal keystone correction
Power zoom
Power focus

Projectors by brand - Projectors[293]=293&celexon_keystone_value_ver=9%2C10&celexon_lens_shift_value_ver=9%2C10&celexon_operating_noise_from=0&celexon_operating_noise_to=23&celexon_outputs[16698]=16698&id=347

If you would like to discuss this further i can be reached on 012345667890

with kind regards

Nick Ayres

Nickffc

:thumbsup:

Nickffc

Update: not great.... Unfortunately when taking out out insurance we did not itemise anything over £1000 that were "high risk" which include any AV / audio gear....! Long story but we took advise over the phone which we now know was incorrect about high risk items and completed the form online.... Now we have made a claim they're saying we underinsured and will only offer £1000 for the projector and £650 for the TV.....
And yes we have asked them to find the recorded phone conversation which they can't find.... Typical..... So very unimpressed with Admiral insurance.... Believe me I'm not one to roll over in situations like this but after taking professional advice I would be folging a dead horse with this ....

So now I have to find a decent projector for my money and have to budget about £700.....!
I've found a second hand pj.... JVC HD350.... The reviews on this look very good but am a bit concerned about buying secondhand.... Any thoughts ?

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
The HD350 was a good projector and probably a good step up in many ways to your old one (apart from motion possibly), however if you search for 'pink stripe' or 'magenta stripe' you will find that quite a few owners suffer from this issue. Mine was fine when I sold it at 600 hours (for £700 as it happens and that was 3 years ago now), but I'm not sure I'd risk buying a used one now.

To be honest anything that you buy used stands a chance of failure, so it's a bit of a gamble. It just depends on whether you're prepared to write that money off if it comes to the worst as repairs will be uneconomical in this (and similar) example. If you pay 1/5 of the new price then you could argue that you should only expect 1/5 of the lifetime, which SOG would say 5 years is 'reasonable'. Perhaps a bit harsh, but seeing how built down to a price things are these days it's not unrealistic.

Russ 66

Distinguished Member
Update: not great.... Unfortunately when taking out out insurance we did not itemise anything over £1000 that were "high risk" which include any AV / audio gear....! Long story but we took advise over the phone which we now know was incorrect about high risk items and completed the form online.... Now we have made a claim they're saying we underinsured and will only offer £1000 for the projector and £650 for the TV.....
And yes we have asked them to find the recorded phone conversation which they can't find.... Typical..... So very unimpressed with Admiral insurance.... Believe me I'm not one to roll over in situations like this but after taking professional advice I would be folging a dead horse with this ....

So now I have to find a decent projector for my money and have to budget about £700.....!
I've found a second hand pj.... JVC HD350.... The reviews on this look very good but am a bit concerned about buying secondhand.... Any thoughts ?
Who were you insured with?

audimushroom

There are few good budget dlp projectors new such as the benq

Nickffc

Russ 66

Distinguished Member

Nickffc

The HD350 was a good projector and probably a good step up in many ways to your old one (apart from motion possibly), however if you search for 'pink stripe' or 'magenta stripe' you will find that quite a few owners suffer from this issue. Mine was fine when I sold it at 600 hours (for £700 as it happens and that was 3 years ago now), but I'm not sure I'd risk buying a used one now.

To be honest anything that you buy used stands a chance of failure, so it's a bit of a gamble. It just depends on whether you're prepared to write that money off if it comes to the worst as repairs will be uneconomical in this (and similar) example. If you pay 1/5 of the new price then you could argue that you should only expect 1/5 of the lifetime, which SOG would say 5 years is 'reasonable'. Perhaps a bit harsh, but seeing how built down to a price things are these days it's not unrealistic.
i see what your saying...it is a risk but i'm so confused with the cheaper end of the market in the circa £500 mark that its hard to make any informed decision...!

going back this hd350, i have emailed the seller to aks for a demo.... but no reply as yet, also looking at the pictures posted it seems that it has been well looked after with all papaer work and pristine packaging still there... sort of shows care is taken but i appreceiate that faults do happen no matter how weel you look after your kit....also it is a big mother of a PJ and i would have to redo my projector lift...!

so it maybe back to the drawing board with looking for the right PJ

Nick

Nickffc

Well I missed out on the 350.... But a hd550 came up with just 40 hrs in the original lamp.....! Long story but I believe it is genuine looking at the condition which is pristine, only used now and then for slide shows and the odd movie. Picture is stunning... and it is whisper quite. Only issue is they lost the remote which is proving difficult to find, there are aftermarket ones out there but I want an original

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom