Insurance replacement new for old

eas4uk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So, my daughter has scratched my tx-55vt50b.

I have accidental damage cover and insurance have confirmed it would be covered and if unable to be repaired they would replace on a new for old basis... but this is based on technical specification rather than purchase price or original value...

So what would be a likely replacement? Based on tech spec, as plasma is no longer an option, and 1080p panels are mainly budget... then consider I have £250 excess I’m debating whether it’s even worth claiming If I’m going to be offered a budget lcd, as it will have a negative impact on future premiums...

Anyone have any recent experience with ‘bevalued’ as they will be the ‘decision makers’?

Last edited:
Argh. I think you're shafted.

IMO the natural replacement would be a 55'' OLED for a 55'' high end plasma but I think the chance of them agreeing to that is very low. If they just end up throwing you a budget LCD from Panasonic, your £250 is already one third to half of the way there.

Also you'd be better off buying a second hand TV set than a new one at this time of the year... like a Panasonic 902B.

Long term claiming is not going to be worth it IMO.

I’d agree that the natural replacement would be a 55 oled, but like you I can’t see them agreeing that.

Gutted.

Why would they not agree on anything ? Old for new is exactly that or was. I purchased a device 10 years ago for £1500 and it was replaced with a better device at £1300 after the excess.

Or does your insurance depreciate cost over the years ? which would make a mockery out of old for new.

I got a laptop replaced on accidental damage cover that was £999 in 2012 with a laptop that was £939 this year and obviously much much better.

I would have thought old for new would be based on current value, not purchase price but the replies above seem to prove this wrong? I'd be interested to know what you did in the end and the outcome if you claimed on your insurance

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom