• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Insurance Replacement for Sony xe9405 . What to negotiate for?

Woody1888

Standard Member
Ceiling fell on top of my 75in XE9405. And the barsteward insurance company , are going to come back to me with a lowball offer of something to replace it. I did a lot or research at the time but out of touch now but on first pass the initial option I've looked at, Sony XH95 ,has way fewer dimmible zones than the xe9405. Best case I've got £3500 to play with if they give up and give me what I paid and I don't mind adding a bit if there is an outstanding candidate . There appears to be last year's LG oled77c8 8k heavily discounted to £4000 which might suit. I have a big bright room sitting 4-5 meters away.

What do you folks think I should look at?

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Ceiling fell on top of my 75in XE9405. And the barsteward insurance company , are going to come back to me with a lowball offer of something to replace it. I did a lot or research at the time but out of touch now but on first pass the initial option I've looked at, Sony XH95 ,has way fewer dimmible zones than the xe9405. Best case I've got £3500 to play with if they give up and give me what I paid and I don't mind adding a bit if there is an outstanding candidate . There appears to be last year's LG oled77c8 8k heavily discounted to £4000 which might suit. I have a big bright room sitting 4-5 meters away.

What do you folks think I should look at?

Definitely take the money. This might interest you though. A recent owner who prefers his new XH95 to his old XE9405 Sony KD-75XE9405 4K LCD TV owners thread.

The C8 is a great set though! If you're not worried about burn in maybe go for that. Or alternatively get the XH95 and save some money...plus the XH will be better suited to a bright room. I doubt you'll be disappointed with either choice.

Dodgexander

The C8 isn't an 8k model, but just as good as models today.

It's just a bit old now, 2018 model. I think someone else spotted a 77" Sony AG9 for 4k which is probably a better deal.

LCD TVs are generally a lot better value than OLEDs at this size. The larger you get the more OLEDs cost comparatively.

If your room is very bright and you like to use HDR in a bright environment an LCD TV is best suited similar to your old TV. The XH9505 is closest in spec, there's a 75" and 85" version. Samsung also have the Q90T which is similar, both have their own pros and cons.

If you can help it, try not to buy at the minute. You'll get a better deal buying at a later stage than now as prices are currently quite high.

Woody1888

Standard Member
Well the plot thickens. My excess is 350. Do they have offered me a KD-77AG9 for that cost. Or a £3250 cash settlement. Which is the cost to them minus the excess. Have tho say I'm surprised seems reasonable. Still not sure of way forward though. Need to do some research.

Dodgexander

That is very reasonable given the price of that TV new, and also that insurance usually try to rip people off. I'd snap it up.

If you were more interested in the LG CX because its more future proof you could perhaps pay the difference? Cash settlement isn't a good deal, but if they are willing to offer the AG9 then maybe you could pay extra for the CX if you feel that would be more suited to you.

LGs OLEDs strength is with future proof connectivity, good gaming features and striking HDR.
Sony's OLEDs strength is with motion processing and built in sound.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom