Insurance replacement for Samsung QE49Q7FAM

Turbo Dragon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

This is a bit long but hopefully I can get some much needed thoughts on which path to take......

Looking for some opinions, I currently have a Samsung QLED Q7F 49" that has developed a problem with flashing bursts of colours when it turns on for the first time. I have a warranty with Solocare who have looked at the TV and declared it beyond economical repair. Once it is up and running it will be fine for the rest of the day but apparently it is only going to get worse.

So I have been offered a few options for replacement/upgrade and have been in negotiations for a few days.

They have offered for free a:

Samsung QE50Q60TA

This I do not view as a comparable replacement and have told them so, but I am trying to avoid getting into a big argument if possible. They say it is the current equivalent as they use screen size and RRP as the guiding factor...... hmmmm.

They have offered me the choice of paying to upgrade to a new 2020 model.

The problem I am coming against is that a 55" screen does not really fit in our living room without compromising the fireplace and windowsill, if there is no option then we have to go bigger, so be it. But I really wanted something at 49"-50"

I have the option of paying to upgrade to a few Samsung choices, I have listed some options and the cost to upgrade and my thoughts about them:

QE55Q70TA - £251 - as I understrand it the 70T range is not as good a picture quality as the older Q7F also 55" not ideal

QE49Q80TA - £250 - I believe this 49" model is not as good as the rest of the 80T range for dimming etc.
QE55Q80TA - £383 - 55" so not ideal but at a push I could try to convince my good lady

QE55Q90TA - £543 - getting a bit pricey as I am getting nearly into the cost of OLED upgrades (also 55" not ideal)

In Sony I have the options of:

KD55AG9BU - £901 OLED but really is more money than I want to spend
KD48A9BU - £819 OLED but smaller screen size than I currently have
KD55A8BU - £735 OLED I could stretch to it if I can justify it to my good lady but 55" is a bit of an eye-sore
KD49XH9505BU - £340 - Seems like a great choice, but apparently the 49" is limited compared to the 55"
KD55XH9505BU -£574 - 55" and is it worth it over the 80T?

In LG:

OLED48CX5LC -£698 - OLED but I feel it's getting too much money for a smaller screen

Panasonic is not a brand they can offer.

Quick notes:

Not bothered about sound as I use a seperate Dolby Atmos AVR setup.

Not bothered about smart features for streaming etc. as I use Nvidia Shield for all that, this is just about picture quality.

There is no option for a refund or cash apparently, I really don't want a fight and to feel bitter about this if I can avoid it.

I can insist on having mine repaired if I choose.

The TV is used in daylight in a living room and dimly lit (lights off) in the evening for 4K UHD Bluray movies and also for gaming PS4/PS5.

If I get a Samsung replacement it carries on under my current insurance warranty (roughly 3.5 years remaining)

If I get a Sony / LG I get a new 5 year warranty

IF I upgrade to any other TV I still get to keep my current one to sell for spares/repairs etc.

I guess my conclusion is that I don't want to pay money to stay still in terms of picture quality, if I am forced into going up to 55, an 80TA seems a reasonable compromise for outlay of a few hundred quid to get a bigger screen of a comparable (or better?) quality than my currrent Q7F.

I dont think that paying around £700 for a smaller OLED is a great idea. The 49" Sony 9505 LCD will cost me the same near enough as a Samsung 55" LCD

Ideally I would want a 50" OLED but that is a gap in the market, yet to be filled.

Phew! Thanks for everyone who stuck around to the end of this, I would welcome any thoughts or any other models that I have missed.

Si

That's a lot to choose from! I'd always get the same size of larger, bigger is definitely better with televisions these days. You are correct about the general downgrade of Samsung models year on year but the top end Q90's are very good.

I'd say first decide if you want OLED or LCD and go from there. But picking up on a couple of things you say, the XH95 is better than the Q80 by quite a bit, it's more on a par with the Q95/90. Good luck deciding!

That's a lot to choose from! I'd always get the same size of larger, bigger is definitely better with televisions these days. You are correct about the general downgrade of Samsung models year on year but the top end Q90's are very good.

I'd say first decide if you want OLED or LCD and go from there. But picking up on a couple of things you say, the XH95 is better than the Q80 by quite a bit, it's more on a par with the Q95/90. Good luck deciding!

Thanks for the reply.
May I ask if that opinion about the XH95 extend to the 49" version as I have read some reviews that say it is quite a different animal to the 55" XH95.....

I would decide on size and technology first:

55” might be a bit tight for your space but if you can fit it, I would: way better options at that size, better value and better tech too.

LCD vs OLED is the main tech question: both good options at 55” too.

if you look up @Dodgexander guides, esp on tech and panel type (VA vs IPS): that should narrow down your options to just a more manageable handful.

Thanks for the reply.
May I ask if that opinion about the XH95 extend to the 49" version as I have read some reviews that say it is quite a different animal to the 55" XH95.....

I've not looked at one in person so can't help then unfortunately but you definitely don't get the wide angle filter. I don't see why it's picture quality/motion would be worse though but I might be wrong on that. I'd say you will fit in a 55" though.

You should view this guide: My best TVs for next gen gaming 2020-21

And prepare to buy at a later stage if you don't want to currently over pay for a TV.

In terms of your existing TV, the Q70T is most similar now, but I'd avoid that model and go for the Q80T if you decide to go the LCD and Samsung route. The Q60T is not a like for like TV at all compared to your current one.

There's some begining steps you have to make when choosing a TV before you can pick out models though. It makes your life easier to start narrowing down with guides like Which panel type should I choose for my TV? and LCD versus OLED before picking out different models.

You should view this guide: My best TVs for next gen gaming 2020-21

And prepare to buy at a later stage if you don't want to currently over pay for a TV.

In terms of your existing TV, the Q70T is most similar now, but I'd avoid that model and go for the Q80T if you decide to go the LCD and Samsung route. The Q60T is not a like for like TV at all compared to your current one.

There's some begining steps you have to make when choosing a TV before you can pick out models though. It makes your life easier to start narrowing down with guides like Which panel type should I choose for my TV? and LCD versus OLED before picking out different models.

I have read it, thank you for taking the time to write it it is a very good guide to quickly get up to speed with what manufactureers are doing, I usually keep vaguely aware of the current tech but only brush up near to purchasing.

Unfortunately as this is an insurance based warranty I can't leave it indefinitely as the value of my current TV diminshes over time apparently. Also Solocares prices are based on MSRP not actual prices and there is no cash alternative to let me wait for Black Friday, sadly.

I guess im in the position of IF i'm 'forced' to go up to 55" I have three options:

55" 80T at £383 - cheap enough to not really think about it
55" 90T at £543 - getting a little too close to the Sony OLED below (worth the difffence?)
55" 9505 OLED at £901 - If you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly :-D

All prices are minus whatever I can sell a slightly faulty Q7F for as well

As an aside I usually buy HiFi / AV from Richer Sounds but got this one from Martin Dawes as they had a cracking trade in offer on my old plasma, but this insurance extended warranty thing is nowhere near as good a the R.S. warranty.

Last edited:
The Sony XH9505 is not a Sony OLED, its an LCD TV.

If you can afford it, go for the higher tier models. Sony XH9505 and Q90T are about the same, so going for the Samsung makes sense. A good upgrade on your old TV.

The Sony XH9505 is not a Sony OLED, its an LCD TV.

If you can afford it, go for the higher tier models. Sony XH9505 and Q90T are about the same, so going for the Samsung makes sense. A good upgrade on your old TV.

You are absolutely correct, I got mixed up. Oooops

It is the Sony OLED KD55AG9 that I can get for £901.

After a weekend of deliberation and tape measures and even making a cardboard surround for my current TV, we have come to a conclusion that I need to buy a new fireplace but that we can squeeze a 55" panel in the corner. :D:D

With that in mind I have asked to pay for an upgrade to the Sony OLED AG9 and I get to keep my slightly faulty QLED to sell for spares etc.

Thank you to everyone who has pitched in with ideas, it really did help to clear the fog for me.

Nice one, who needs a fire place anyway.....!!!

I am confident you will be impressed. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom