Insurance rant

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sold my Motorbike last week so duly rang up to cancel my Insurance policy held with Bennetts. As I had paid the policy up front only 6 months ago i hoped i may be in for a small rebate (insurance only cost £90 or so).

How wrong could i have been.............

Was informed by Bennetts that cancelling before 9mths of policy term has passed carries a penalty of the loss of 80% of the policy premium and additionally there is a £30 cancellation charge!!!

Turns out they are going to bill me for £13 :mad:

How ridiculous is that; I pay the full premium up front then cancel early giving them 6 months money with no risk for them to carry and they want to charge me £13.

Told them if they do send me the bill it will be binned and I'll see them in court if they wish to pursue it.

that is good isnt it! so they get the money upfront, no risk in having to chase the money.

they then as you said have no risk of being liable for any claims yet they want to charge you even more to cancel!

insurance has to be the biggest rip off ever!

were forced to have it, yet when we actually need it we always weighing up if we should even claim,

i just view car/bike insurance as another form of taxation and expect little or nothing back from it, i find it easier to except that way ;)

In that case don't cancel it, just don't renew it, or is it too late?

Dave

Ah, good point.

Dave

Insurance companies are a law unto themselves. I have been looking to buy a Mercedes 500SL which is a 300bhp V8 and looked at a number of insurance quotes via comparison websites and the cheapest was Norwich Union at £365pa.

Having looked at a number of cars, none of them were quite what i wanted so I expanded my search to include the slightly less powerfull SL350 which is a 245bhp V6 and did the insurance comparison again to find Norwich Union still the cheapest but the premium had risen to £420

Just in case it was a glitch in the system I tried several different sites and on each one Norwich Union wanted to charge more for the less powerful car.

I'm sure that there is a logical explanation. I'm just not sure what it is

Just in case it was a glitch in the system I tried several different sites and on each one Norwich Union wanted to charge more for the less powerful car.

I'm sure that there is a logical explanation. I'm just not sure what it is

It's probably that the lower powered car is more common and as such has suffered from more claims, could be wrong but that's usually the case.

Frankly insurance is a joke (just not a very funny one)... my mate had critical illness cover with his mortgage... a year later he developed a cancerous tumour in his leg, had to have it taken out (together with 3 of his quadricep muscles) and got though months of agonizing treatments... at which time he obviously wasn't able to work.
When he came to claim however to cover the months of mortgage payments... while he was off work... they decided he wasn't entitled as he'd basically been cured, so wasn't critically ill anymore!!

Gits.

....they decided he wasn't entitled as he'd basically been cured, so wasn't critically ill anymore!!

Gits.
He should have asked the [-]messiah[/-] hospital to make him a bit lame in one leg during the middle of the week.

He should have asked the [-]messiah[/-] hospital to make him a bit lame in one leg during the middle of the week.

Kind of did that by removing 3 of his quadriceps..... he now only has one muscle left in his upper right leg... and had to wear a leg brace to walk!!

He used to do things like The London Marathon, The London to Brighton bike ride... in fact i met the guy while training in Kung Fu... strangely enough he can't kick anymore!!

Kind of did that by removing 3 of his quadriceps..... he now only has one muscle left in his upper right leg... and had to wear a leg brace to walk!!
Sorry - my warped sense of humour & the opportunity for a Python quote got the better of me. :blush:

Sorry - my warped sense of humour & the opportunity for a Python quote got the better of me. :blush:

It's ok... don't worry about it, he is still a very naughty boy!!!

Well my £13 bill from Bennets arrived in the post this morning (via recorded delivery) if i was at home i would have refused it but my wife signed for it :(.

I've written a letter of complaint to Bennets and have said i will not be paying the bill.

I'll look forward to their response :)

not owning the vehicle when taking out a policy may be a problem but after you have sold it you choose not to cancel so what ? does the policy have anything to say about this ? thats all that matters IMV. (even then the terms may be restrictive).

Well that's a good reason not to renew my insurance with Bennets next year.... they may have got £13 off you but they sure have lost my business over this!

Having said that, the next company will probably do the same anyway!:rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom