• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Insurance Question (where veichle left over night)

Golf_turbo

Right, I know how insurance companies love to try get out of any claims, hence this post.

On my bike and car insurance I stated that over night they're kept at my house in a garage, which most nights they are.

On average twice a week I stay round G/F's house (once car to hers, then once bike it).

So, say the car/bike got stolen (car I leave in her drive, bike I leave in her garage), would I still be insured?

un1eash

Distinguished Member
Read the small print, if you state the car and bike are left in the garage then it only applys when they are within vincinity of your house over night. If your not at your home address and they are stolen from outside then your ok so to speak.

My insurance was actually cheaper to say its left on the drive over night when in fact i put it away in the garage. I told them its left on the drive so i'm covered if i left it out but then would they say something if it was stolen out my garage :confused:

FZR400RRSP

Banned
So, say the car/bike got stolen (car I leave in her drive, bike I leave in her garage), would I still be insured?

Of course you'd still be insured.
Just as if it were nicked from outside a hotel you were staying in.
Hence the wording is usually "normally kept", not "always kept".
"Normally" gives leeway, which is common sense.

Golf_turbo

Read the small print, if you state the car and bike are left in the garage then it only applys when they are within vincinity of your house over night. If your not at your home address and they are stolen from outside then your ok so to speak.

My insurance was actually cheaper to say its left on the drive over night when in fact i put it away in the garage. I told them its left on the drive so i'm covered if i left it out but then would they say something if it was stolen out my garage :confused:

My car insurance was cheaper to say it's on the drive, aswell. That's with Bell insurance.

Can't see anyway how myself.

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
My car insurance was cheaper to say it's on the drive, aswell. That's with Bell insurance.

Thats fairly clear actually High performance cars in garages are the issue as it gives to attack alarms, immobilisers etc where as doing this out int he open on dirve is more risky for the theif (or thats the theory!)

What i want to know is what my situation is classed as car parked in back garden with 6' high solid wall and electric roller shutter operated by remote so is that a Drive, Car port, car park or garage? And why is my insurance so high! it seems higher than yours on an M3 and I'm older!

Last edited:

un1eash

Distinguished Member
I believe thats a compound.

Mine was even cheaper if i said its left on the road, i'm with elephant.

Golf_turbo

Thats fairly clear actually High performance cars in garages are the issue as it gives to attach alarms immobilisers etc where as doing this out int he open on dirve is more risky for the theif (or thats the theory!)

What i want to know is what my situation is classed as car parked in back garden with 6' high solid wall and electric roller shutter operated by remote so is that a Drive, Car port, car park or garage? And why is my insurance so high! it seems higher than yours on an M3 and I'm older!

I'm not sure.

If it's on the driveway a lot more people are going to see it while it's left out on view all the time.

Plus, if it's on a drive way it's a lot easier to take (no locked garage which is possibly alarmed to mess with)

Also, car thiefs these days are grab the keys and drive off style.

Last point. If the car is in the drive way it is a lot more vulnerable to vandalism and random break ins.

Yep, my insurance is cheap. £840 this year. 23, no points, 5 YNCB. :D

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
I have 9 NCB (1 no fault claim) and am pushing 30 and drive a much less powerful car clean liscence and mine was £500 IIRC And that was good compared to what Tesco wanted when i changed car so i moved to priviledge which made it much better.

FOr insurance its all about the stats must be that cars on drives or the road are cheaper to cover, or people dont cliam for the odd bump/scrape etc

jenic

I'm with bell, its even cheaper if you leave it on the roadside ;)

I put it in the drive though, i think its to do with if its on your drive then they know which house to knick the keys from, if its on the street it could be any house.

DVD-Man

Distinguished Member
So many factors with insurance, I just moved there and my insurance has risen £80, just up the road is a rough area but you'd never know it from here and I don't stay where there is a through road so the riff raff don't come down here but the insurance co can't see that.

Liam

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom