Insurance have offered me a replacement tv, should I take it or ask for something else?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by heap1000, Aug 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. heap1000

heap1000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK so myTX-55AS640B got damaged and is beyond repair.
    Insurance have offered me the dx600 55 inch as a replacement.
    I can change the TV but have to stick around the £800 ish mark.
    Should I take the one offered or is there a better sony/samsung that I should look at?

Thanks

2. heap1000

heap1000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I am guessing my other options would be
    Samsung Ue55ku6000
    Sony kd55x8509c
    Panasonic 55dx650b (what's the difference to this and the 600?)
    Samsung ue55ku6400 (will probably have to add some cash to get this)

3. TYBRO

TYBRO
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. heap1000

heap1000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. TYBRO

TYBRO
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Android problems as far as i know have not been sorted out entirely and they wont be

For me the edge is given by the fact that this tv has a 10 bit /120 Hz VA panel which should give you great image quality, better than on the others. On the software side the others are clearly faster

Reviews: Sony X85C review - FlatpanelsHD & Sony KD-55X8505C 4K TV Review

PS Sony is launching new TVs in september at IFA which would come with faster Android 6.0

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  6. heap1000

heap1000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brilliant info, I appreciate your input. So edging towards thr Sony as most of all I want a good screen, like the idea of kodi on the Android then I don't have to fire up my pc.

Which tv would you give second place to just in case for some reason I can't get the Sony?

Oh and will this tv get an update to android 6 or is that not possible or likely?

7. TYBRO

TYBRO
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems Sony announced this update to Android 6 in january but it did not happen yet: Sony

8. heap1000

heap1000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you would take the Panasonic TX-55DX600 over the Samsungs?

9. TYBRO

TYBRO
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do not know too much about the other 2 but i would choose the Samsung. Review: KU6300
    Both are from 2016 vs 2015 Sony. This seems to be the review of that Panasonic: DX600 Review

10. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,043
    Biggest flaw with the Samsung KU series is judder with 24hz, meaning if you watch films in there native 24fps at 24hz the Samsungs show judder. Judder-free 24p on TVs

ps if you get the Samsungs, don't bother with the 6400 over the 6000 unless you need the added features they are the same Picture Quaity.

The Panasonic DX-600 definitely has an IPS panel and the DX-650 I am sure will have the same too (although I haven't seen it confirmed in a review) that means better viewing angles but worse contrast and black levels. Usually people look for TV's with a VA panel type unless they need to view the television from over a 20 degree angle. You're current tv has an IPS panel too. So that should mean by moving to VA you'll see a great improvement in PQ unless you sit at an angle.

So overall, the Sony is the better option, it has smooth motion with minimal motion blur, plays films without judder (unlike Samsung KU) and has a VA panel type (Unlike Panasonic DX-600).

However no tv is perfect and there are android tv bugs, a lot has improved but if smart tv is very important to you it may be a risk getting the Sony and you may want to choose one of the others simply to avoid the possibility of having Smart tv problems.

Sony = Best allrounder
    Panasonic = if need to view over 20 degree angle and want more reliable smart tv.
    Samsung = if you want good picture quality and more reliable smart tv.

Also its worth noting that the Samsung unlike the others doesn't have the freeview play app, it does however have all the individual apps, but they are separate and not integrated in to the guide like with freeview play.

11. heap1000

heap1000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that's an informative reply. Thank you. The TV is mainly used with a freeview box and kodi via a pc. The movies you talk about would that be blu-ray or films on TV and Kodi?

Smart TV is not the main selling point but will be handy for a few movie/sports streaming apps.

12. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,043
    Movies are filmed at 24fps so any movie you watch on your PC will have judder unless you set your PC to have a 24hz output, some tv's let you set your PC to a normal 60hz and still display 24fps content smoothly, the Samsung KU don't do either, the Sony x85c does both, the latter if you select true motion in settings. Not so sure about the Panasonic. On broadcast TV every movie or tv show shot in 24fps is sped up by 4% to avoid judder in EU screens because the frame rate doesn't match the movie one, that's unavoidable.

Judder isn't noticeable to most people, which is why I linked that article before, you can see from the example video whether you notice it or not.

If you get the Sony you can get Kodi on android tv and cut out the PC completely.

Most tv's have recording functions built in now if you use your own some with twin tuners even, making a separate box in some cases redundant. The X85c Sony's have this. They also have freeview play.

13. heap1000

heap1000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spoke to the insurance people today and the Sony is discontinued so I could not have it :(. So I ended up with the Samsung KU6400 (he managed to get is discounted so I did not have to pay any extra, I wanted that one over the KU6000 as I liked the silver/back rather than the all black).
    Tv comes on Thursday so I will see what it is like.
    Thanks all for your input, a bit gutted I never got the TV I wanted but I am hoping I will be happy with this one.

14. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,043
    In some ways the Samsung is the better TV so I wouldn't be too gutted. When you get it you should let us know what you think. It's possible you just won't notice any judder in films.

15. heap1000

heap1000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I will defo report back, to be honest it was hard to tell when I looked at the link posted so fingers crossed.