1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

insurance for h.c gear

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ianlecompte, Jul 6, 2005.

1. ianlecompte

ianlecompte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi to you all.
    just a quick one,my gear is currently in the garage as i have use of a pj,but i,m concerned my stuff wont be covered on the household insurance,would it cost a lot to cover it ?or will it have to be specific to that room,the garage has a side door with a 4 lever lock on.
    any ideas would be most grateful as to what the insurance people are likely to say.
    cheers ian. :thumbsup:

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I believe that this varies alot between insurers - having just looked at a Churchill & Direct Line policy - the Churchill puts a £2000 cap on claims for contents kept in outbuildings or garages but looking at the Direct Line one it defined garage/ out buildings as part of the home and I couldnt see anything to say there is a limit on these claims - obviously you would want to check with them before you take out the policy.

There is no requirement on security for home insurance unless you declare you have it. The question they always ask is if the doors to your property have 5 lever mortis locks. If you answer no then you have no obligation but if you answer yes you would need to make sure they are all to this standard or they can void your policy - if you still have a normal garage door on the garage you should check with your insurer if it counts towards the 5 lever requirement.

Entertainment equipment are all considered high risk items so you need to ensure that (1) your high risk total is high enough (2) items over a certain value have to be specifically named on the policy - check with the insurer what the value is and make sure you list them.

The one plus point is that even if you dont buy the accidental damage cover for the rest of your home a lot of 'traditional' insurers still give accidental damage cover to entertainment equipment anyway. Ironically (if I remember correctly) DL have dropped this but Ch still include it.

3. ianlecompte

ianlecompte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    thanks astaroth thats really helpful.well i guess i,ll give them a call and see what they say.
    thanks again
    ian :smashin:

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Due to FSA ICOB rules most insurers now tape all telephone conversations - always worth noting the time/date/name of the person you spoke to for any pre-purchasing discussions if you ever have any problems in the future