Insurance claim...

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by sjohal2006, Dec 29, 2006.

1. sjohal2006

sjohal2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Well I have a Sony 36" T.V. which was purchased roughly 5 -6 years ago.

It was around £1800 when it was brought, top of the line, the usual.

However already, after a power cut, the speakers are very crackly and it just sounds pretty bad.

Can I claim off the insurance for this problem ? I have contents insurance, as this was only after the powercut which was only minor for around 5-10mins.

Cant believe this has occured, dont even know how it did occur. :rolleyes:
    Thanks guys

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,551
    It all depends on whether it was covered...you would need to read/check your policy and/or phone the Insurance co and ask. If it is covered they may pay to get it repaired...they will take the cheaper option.

When the power is restored it can sometimes come on with a surge, if there is a power cut or lightning storms around I unplug every piece of electronic equipment including the telephones and aerial/dish leads in my house...I repair electronic equipment for a living and I am always very busy after storms/power cuts :D

3. sinizterguy

sinizterguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Is it true that tying a pretzel-like knot in the power cables will protect the devices from electrical surges ?

Something about the electro-magnetic fields balancing each other out over the knot or something like that.

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,551
    I haven't heard that one before...somehow I doubt it works :D

5. sjohal2006

sjohal2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How would they take away a 85kg television ? would they bother

6. paul-av-tech

paul-av-tech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Pretzel knots - sorry not going to do lots. If you take a large coil of wire and pass oodles of power through it the magnetic field created by AC will resist the flow of current in the cable (the reason your mains extension leads sold at the DIY shop tell you to unwind it fully from the drum when used at maximum capacity) which will generate heat. However most large screen sets such as the one you have now require power factor correction circuitry to comply with the latest rules on energy being drawn from your electricity sub-station. This does a better job of surge limiting than your pretzel knot.

BTW - as an aside I would be surprised if the fault you are complaining of was directly attributable to any mains surge. Sounds more like coincidence. Power surges tend to cause damage to the front end of the power supply, but like all advice here, difficult to diagnose with minimal information :)

7. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,551
    The same way it took a few people to deliver it...and...there is such a thing as on-site repairs you know.