1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insurance claim whats my chances

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by fuzzybee, Nov 29, 2004.

1. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Let me set the scene, we were watching tv last night and one of our cats came running into the living room, slipping and sliding on the laminate floor he crashed into one of my MA Radius 270's knocking it onto my AV rack.
    The speaker hit the rack with quite a thud but didn't fall over, it has now got some external damage, a small half inch mark where the laminate has cracked, not a massive great din't or anything but enough for me to notice it.
    The speaker still works fine but what are my chances of getting a claim for accidental damage as we are covered for such things but would it be classed as such if i tried to claim ???

Any help or advice would be greatly received :lesson:

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Should be covered, but don't blame the cat :) blaming the cat may invalidate the claim as some insurance companies do not cover against pet damage.

I found out the hard way when one of our loveable little moggies decided to piddle on our new sofa, cost me a fortune to get treated and cleaned and the insurance company said that they do not cover against pet damage.

3. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I'm an insurance consultant and never thought I'd be answering an insurance related question on this forum, but happy to help.

As kazman points out you need to read your policy documents to see if there are any exclusions relating to damage caused by pets. Also, even if there aren't any such exclusions, were you ever asked by the insurance company or broker whether or not you had any pets? If you were and answered truthfully then okay, but if you hid that fact then you could have a problem.

The only other thing I would say is think carefully about making a claim at all. Making a claim will most probably increase your premium next time you take out a policy. By how much is very difficult to say but bear it in mind. Also, what is your excess point as it may be that the cost to repair the damage may not exceed it.

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Get a quote for the item to be repaired first - when you consider the excess you will have to pay, the loss of no claims discount and the increase in premium for having a claim (loading tends to be highest for accidental damage claims) it may well not be worth while claiming and remember the increased premium and lossed ncd will not only effect you next year but for the next 3-5 years depending on which insurer you use.

If you do claim then it is always easier to say that you/the other half walked into it rather than a pet due to the exclusion that some insurers have on damage caused by pets.

Not that I would advocate being dishonnest to an insurance company (incase any of my bosses are watching)

5. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I didn't have any problem getting a replacement remote after one of our dogs ate my old Sony RM-AV2000.