Insurance claim may have to take cash or alternative

cuttsy

Established Member
Reaction score
After a bit of advice.

I have been advised that my Iphone 3gs can't be repaired so the insurance company is telling me I might have to take a cash sum as they can't get hold of a phone.( Bank account insurance)

If this is the case how do I get hold of a iphone without a contract and if it is unlocked is it all completely above board? Also what sort of cash should I be looking at for a 3gs 16gb?

TIA

When I had my 3G 16Gb nicked (granted not 3GS but was the best available at the time) Insurance gave me £340.

I then bought and unlocked a 32Gb 3GS Pay as you Go for £530 and put in the replacement SIM from my original contract.

After a bit of advice.

I have been advised that my Iphone 3gs can't be repaired so the insurance company is telling me I might have to take a cash sum as they can't get hold of a phone.( Bank account insurance)

If this is the case how do I get hold of a iphone without a contract and if it is unlocked is it all completely above board? Also what sort of cash should I be looking at for a 3gs 16gb?

TIA

You can get a PAYG iPhone from the apple store for £440.40. If you want one which is officially unlocked then it will cost you £600+ on ebay.

If you get a new iPhone it will most probably have the new 3.1 firmware on it. At the moment there is no way to unlock or jailbreak this phone...although it seems that there may be a solution soon for the JB aspect of this pretty (fingers crossed).

Can I ask what happened to the phone? Is it not under warranty still?

It may be eligible for an out of warranty repair?

Apple - Support - iPhone - Service FAQs

Number 7 there.

Another group have come out with talk of a 3.1 crack including official 3.1 unlock. Nothing concrete yet of course, but it wouldn't put me off buying one.

Your insurance company isn't trying very hard. The Apple store is shipping the 16gb one locked to 02 for £440 and Play.com are selling kosher unlocked-out-of-the-box 16Gbs for £600. If you want the latter, which means never having to worry about unlocking in future no matter how many firmware revisions Apple issue, then take the cash, make up the extra and buy it from Play.

Another group have come out with talk of a 3.1 crack including official 3.1 unlock. Nothing concrete yet of course, but it wouldn't put me off buying one.

It's a group out of nowhere though and although I'm very excited about it and am praying it's not a hoax I wouldn't get a locked iphone on 3.1 if I rely on an unlock.

Even though I have exactly that just now :)

Thanks for the replies the phone is on O2 under an 18 month contract, it was dropped on a stone floor, initially thought it was just a cracked screen, but apparently it is not cost effective to repair.

I haven't had a cash offer yet but I want a handset that has full functionality of an 02 contract phone. Do PAYG and unlocked phones offer this?

O2 iphone PAYG offers the same functionality as the iphone sold on a contract otherthan with the PAYG, you get a sim with 1 years free wifi and 3g.

You need the insurance to put you back in the position you were before the iphone fall.

So your insurance should find you an iphone same as the one you had before! if they cannot find one then you supply them with links of places that sell them and let them decide which one they prefer to buy from and deliver to you.

Simple process to follow and stick to your guns!

Thanks for the replies the phone is on O2 under an 18 month contract, it was dropped on a stone floor, initially thought it was just a cracked screen, but apparently it is not cost effective to repair.

I haven't had a cash offer yet but I want a handset that has full functionality of an 02 contract phone. Do PAYG and unlocked phones offer this?

Tell them that the Apple stores have **** tonnes of them. If they can't be bothered then tell them to give you £440.40 and go and get it yourself.

That simple :)

Tell them that the Apple stores have **** tonnes of them. If they can't be bothered then tell them to give you £440.40 and go and get it yourself.

That simple :)

That is exactly what they have just done...

That is exactly what they have just done...

Don't be tricked into paying the £10 top up when you go in. Tell them you already have an O2 SIM card. But if you pay the 10 you have unlimited internet for a year...not a bad deal...:rotfl:

Don't be tricked into paying the £10 top up when you go in. Tell them you already have an O2 SIM card. But if you pay the 10 you have unlimited internet for a year...not a bad deal...:rotfl:

O2 don't have any PAYG online at the moment, I already get unlimited data on my contract so the tenner is a waste of money or am I missing something?

Is the PAYG on apple store the same as O2 as they state the phone will only work with O2 PAYG is that to stop people buying the phone getting it home and returning it as it won't work without an O2 contract PAYG or Pay monthly.

Surely I will just throw away the PAYG sim?

Unlimited data means 3g. If you hit a BT wifi zone you will not get online for free like you do if you have a PAYG iphone from O2.

I had PAYG for a few months until I realised I was paying a s0dding fortune for top-ups and switched to Simplicity+ an unlimited 3g bolt on. No free BT wifi but 3g usually does the job eventually, and many places offer free wifi regardless (MacDonalds for one.)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom