Insurance claim is this a fair replacement

woodster1973

Standard Member
Reaction score
I had a ue65hu7 100 which I had an insurance claim on Cost me best part of 3k is the model below a fair replacement Thanks for any advice

SAMSUNG UE65MU6220 (BLACK)

Don’t know anything about your old tv but the replacement seems to be a hell of a lot cheaper is your policy new for old if so I think I would push for a better one personally

It was purchased about 3 years ago new and I know I paid near the 3k mark probably about £2500 and the old TV was an award winner

technology moves on at a rapid rate, every TV is 4K now

If it is the HU series it was purchased in 2014 !

But what does insurance policy say?

I realise it is an older model but insurance should be like for like new for old so just wanted to check they were being fair before I say yes

I would have thought the tv below was more in line with what you had.

You could easily argue they are offering the cheapest model 6 series where you had a more premium 7 series set. If you had the original receipt you would probably have more bargaining power.

I agree.

Whilst I don't really expect they should give you a model of the same monetary value, as the same tech drops in price (unless it's Apple)
The replacement should be up to the same standard/range as the previous.

I realise it is an older model but insurance should be like for like new for old so just wanted to check they were being fair before I say yes

How is the policy actually worded? New for old is a bit vague. It could be the same price, the same spec, the same position in the range.

TV prices drop throughout the year between launch and discontinuation so price equivalency is a tricky one and would depend on when you spent that £2,500. TVs in July are quite a bit more costly than in January. The equivalent there is probably a Q7 and a Q8.

Specs-wise the MU6200 probably is similar. It's 4K, non-wide gamut, non-3D, curved. I don't think it has twin tuners so you could probably get an upgrade to the MU6670 on that basis. I don't remember if the MU6220 has the smart remote which would be another reason to go for the MU6670. Are there any features that are particularly important to you? There are always stuff that goes up or down the range so if there's something that's a must have that may be a reason to require a higher up replacement.

The HU7000/HU7100 appears to have been either third or fourth from the top of the range. That would mean the Q6 or Q7 was equivalent.

If you insured your wife against loss/failure when she was 20 and a size 10, and upon reaching the age of 40 and now a size 18, if she had a breakdown, would one expect a size 10, 20 year old to to be offered as a replacement ?
;)

Hi I would like 4 HDMI which mine had. Just want a fair replacement EndlessWaves

Not sure what you mean tempest but I have insurance for a TV not a wife lol.

Hi I would like 4 HDMI which mine had. Just want a fair replacement EndlessWaves

Fair is getting what you paid for, and that is whatever is on the policy document.

I would definitely insist on the features that you actually use though. 4 HDMI ports in an external box on a curved TV would be the MU9000 which is the next model down from the Q7C.

It's a like for like replacement.just checked. I wss away when I posted originally. So mu9000 is what I ask for? Or do I ask for the q7

Feature-wise, It looks like the HU7100 has a native 100/120 Hz panel while the suggested replacement MU6220 only has a 50/60 Hz panel. MU7000 and up in Europe have a native 100 Hz panel. I'm not sure which sizes are available for MU7000/8000/9000, but one of those seems like a fair replacement.

I dont know if they will try to mention the fake motion rates, but the main question is if the set has judder-free 24p or not (50Hz Samsungs do not support it), as I assume you do use your TV for watching movies a 50 Hz Samsung would be a clear downgrade...

Last edited:
It's a like for like replacement.just checked. I wss away when I posted originally. So mu9000 is what I ask for? Or do I ask for the q7

If there's no further information than that then I'd be asking for the Q7C.

So insurance have wriggled out to a max payout of 1k due to a bit in small print. Even though I had insured for 3k not covered for accidental damage above 1k.so I'm now looking for a refurbished set on eBay and found the eu75 mu7000 for £1350. Is that a good set to go for Slight cosmetic damage but that's fine

So insurance have wriggled out to a max payout of 1k due to a bit in small print. Even though I had insured for 3k not covered for accidental damage above 1k.so I'm now looking for a refurbished set on eBay and found the eu75 mu7000 for £1350. Is that a good set to go for Slight cosmetic damage but that's fine

I can help - I know what I’m talking about on this subject - much of the above comments are just guessing and the usual insurance industry knocking, with minimal to zero understanding.

What is the bit in the small print you are referring to?

Your old TV was 2014 - they will need to replace it with a 2017 or 2018 model purely for stock availability purposes if nothing else. It has nothing at all to do with what you paid for it - it has to do with “indemnifying you” putting you back into the same (or near a possible) position you were in before the loss. So the features you use are relevant. From a quality of picture viewpoint, anything now is going to be better than a 2014 model (even a budget one). So don’t be greedy and start insisting on OLED or QLED because exaggerating a claim can void it. Look at what you had, look at what they are offering and ask yourself if it looks fair, picture quality and relevant features wise. Up against a 2014 TV I bet if you’re honest, what they have offered is very fair. Most claims will fall down if the Insured pushes the Insurer too hard and they start to feel he is bordering on fraudulent exaggeration.

If you insured your wife against loss/failure when she was 20 and a size 10, and upon reaching the age of 40 and now a size 18, if she had a breakdown, would one expect a size 10, 20 year old to to be offered as a replacement ?
;)

I certainly Wood.:love:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom