• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Insurance claim help?

True Romance

Distinguished Member
Mrs had a crash a few weeks back and her insurance wanted to send the car to South Wales to be fixed (we live in wolverhampton) by some repair outfit I've never heard of. Wanted to use our own garage which we got quotes for. It's now been two weeks and everytime we ring up to chase what's happening they keep saying the computer systems are down and to ring back in a few days! Rang again yesterday and have now been told ring back next week! Honestly I have no idea what to do here. Have been complaining to the broker and underwriter but with no joy. Any suggestions or do we need to wait for however long it takes for them to sort out there IT? By the way its "one call insurance" so avoild these clowns.

Thanks.

Ron240

Prominent Member
Seems like a ridiculous hard to believe situation, but you are perfectly entitled to have your car repaired wherever you choose. However you will not receive a courtesy car arranged by your own insurer, and in some cases depending on small print may have to pay an additional excess when using a "non approved" repairer. Also the guarantee period may not be quite as long.
If you have a trusted local repairer then that's who to use. :)

BobBob21

Prominent Member
Seems like a ridiculous hard to believe situation, but you are perfectly entitled to have your car repaired wherever you choose.
Why are you? Never seen a FCA ruling that a policy terms cannot restrict who covers repairs as long as its adequately called out as a deviation from the norm prior to purchase and in the terms sent out post purchase. Haven't heard anyone tried to do it either though.

To the OP - I am confused who you are actually talking to, and fear the worst. In most circumstances of brokered business you'll simply have an insurer/underwriter and a broker but you seem to suggest there is a third organization involved? Are they a claims management company? Was this a "non fault accident"?

If it is the underwriter that's managing the claim then its not unusual for things to go slower if you choose not to use their approved repairer. Approved repairers often have delegated authority to commence repairs as soon as the cars in as long as there's no suspicious damage etc and its clearly not beyond economical repair. Where the work goes beyond their authority they often have imaging etc that goes directly to the office based engineers that will authorize it within a day or so.

Non-approved repairers often require an engineer to physically go out and visit a garage, make sure the repair quoted matches the damage done, negotiate prices etc. As insurers have invested more in their networks they've reduced the headcount of engineers and so a chap may only be in an area once a week/fortnight etc

If its an accident management company and a non-fault accident then all the above goes out the window. They are doing everything on credit with a view of adding a big margin and then claiming from the at fault party's insurance. As such they often don't like actually extending the credit for the repairs until they are comfortable that the third party was insurers, no indemnity or liability issues etc.

Ron240

Prominent Member
Astaroth.
I don't know why you quoted me to apparently disagree.
I didn't even bother reading the rest of your long winded reply.
What I said is factually correct. :)

True Romance

Distinguished Member
Just to be clear the insurance was taken out with "one call" who then passed us over to the underwriter who for the past two weeks keeps saying the computer systems are down so can't do anything. There is no claims management company involved. How long is someone expect to wait for their systems to be back up and running while waiting for repairs or another service?

BobBob21

Prominent Member
Who's the underwriter?

Is the car drivable (and legally so)?

An insurers system wouldn't be down two weeks but blaming IT is an easy excuse. Ultimately log a complaint with both the broker and the underwriter so at least that clock starts ticking should you need to escalate

True Romance

Distinguished Member
Who's the underwriter?

Is the car drivable (and legally so)?

An insurers system wouldn't be down two weeks but blaming IT is an easy excuse. Ultimately log a complaint with both the broker and the underwriter so at least that clock starts ticking should you need to escalate
Mate done all that, its gone from ring back tomorrow to ring next week!

kryton85

Established Member
Just had one of mine repaired after some numbskull overshot a junction. I got to pick who repaired it & got a courtesy car. I did spend 2 weeks getting nowhere until I logged an official complain requesting complaints procedure as I would be starting a claim for expenses and loss of earnings. The next day, I got a call & they were more than accommodating. I think most of these insurers are a nightmare but without pushing, you might not get anywhere

Ron240

Prominent Member
What I said is factually correct. :)
I was intending to just leave you to your incorrect way of thinking.....but here is a quote from my policy booklet.
Seems clear enough to me, and will be typical of most if not all insurers.

You are of course permitted to use your own repairer, however you will not be entitled to the
benefits shown in the table below and will need to submit repair estimates to your insurer for
authorisation, which may delay the progress of your claim.

True Romance

Distinguished Member
Well managed to get through last might with there systems now half up and running? So went through all the details again and they did some checks and now say the car isn't taxed! Considering it's only a few weeks old was brought from a main dealer, online shows it as taxed and best of all it's tax free anyway (EV) it beggars belief how this company are still in business :(

BobBob21

Prominent Member
but here is a quote from my policy booklet.
Ok, that's YOUR policy book.... can you quote the OP's policybook however which is actually the T&Cs that their claim will be handled under?

Different insurers have different T&Cs, you cannot assume just because yours has X that every single one of the 500+ different T&Cs out there in the market is identical to yours unless the FCA has ruled that all insurers must include X (and even then its not a total guarantee).

Ron240

Prominent Member
Ok, that's YOUR policy book.... can you quote the OP's policybook however which is actually the T&Cs that their claim will be handled under?
I've already proved you wrong so I'm done with you now. You can argue with yourself. :D

Good luck to the OP, I hope you get it all sorted in the end.
You only ever find out how good an insurance company is when you need to make a claim. :(

BobBob21

Prominent Member
I've already proved you wrong so I'm done with you now.

You've "proven" that you believe that if one policy covers/allows something then all policies do.

By the way, a Hiscox 606 Home Insurance policies states:

We will pay you up to £500 towards the cost of celebrating your ‘hole in one’ during an official golf competition round during the period of insurance.

We will only pay your claim if you provide us with your scorecard and certification form signed by your club or match secretary.

The most we will pay in total for all such claims covered during the period of insurance is £3,000.

Good luck in claiming for a hole in one claim off your Churchill or Admiral Home insurance though :D

Good luck to the OP, I hope you get it all sorted in the end.
You only ever find out how good an insurance company is when you need to make a claim. :(
At least something we can agree on

Last edited:

degsod

Established Member
This might be of use
How to make an insurance complaint

Write them a letter stating the facts, ask them to sort the problem and give them a timescale for a response. Send it to them not by recorded delivery as they can refuse the letter but get proof of postage from the post office (costs nothing) In law if you have proof of postage then the letter is deemed to have been delivered 3 days after posting. Tell them in the letter that you wllopen a case with the ombudsman. Also keep a log of all phone calls and letters and any costs that you incur until you get your car repaired.

The IT being down is not your problem, they should have a disaster recovery plan for any IT issues.

I would also ask them to confirm the nature of the IT issue and to ask that none of your personal data has been compromised.

Good luck

True Romance

Distinguished Member
Just an update on this. So they came back and said we could use our chosen repair centre but for an extra excess of £700! Seems their repair centre could fix it for £700 cheaper?? Anyway Mrs refused to pay any more so it was booked in to be collected yesterday and taken to Liverpool to be fixed. Low and behold they never turned up to collect and its now booked into a repair centre not to far from us that we have actually heard of. They called up today to arrange collection and asked us what the damage was, Mrs asked "have one call not told you or sent photos"? Apparently not so they are now sending it to be fixed without even knowing what this repair centre is even going to charge? Once again NEVER use "one call insurance". They are a complete shambles.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom